Ubuntu is a complete, free operating system that emphasizes community, support, and ease of use without compromising speed, power, or flexibility. It’s Linux for human beings, designed for everyone from computer novices to experts. Ubuntu 10.04 is the latest release—more powerful,more flexible, and friendlier than ever. The Official Ubuntu Book, Fifth Edition, will get you up and running quickly.
Written by expert, leading Ubuntu community members, this book covers all you need to know to make the most of Ubuntu 10.04, whether you’re a home user, small business user, server administrator, or programmer. The authors explain Ubuntu 10.04 from start to finish: installation, configuration, desktop productivity, games, management, support, and much more. Among the many topics covered in this edition: Kubuntu, Ubuntu Netbook Edition, and Ubuntu Server.
This complete guide also covers standard desktop applications, from word processing, spreadsheets, Web browsing, e-mail, instant messaging, music, video, and games to software development, databases, and server applications. In addition, you will
- Learn how to customize Ubuntu for home, small business, school, government, and enterprise environments
- Learn how to quickly update Ubuntu to new release versions and upgraded applications
- Find up-to-the-minute troubleshooting advice from Ubuntu users worldwide from forums and other means to get the help you need quickly
- Learn Ubuntu Server installation and administration, including LVM and RAID implementation
- Learn how to install Ubuntu on a netbook
- Discover the easiest way to buy legal music from your favorite artists and how to use cloud storage to back up or share your important files.
The DVD includes the complete Ubuntu Linux operating system for installation on PC platforms. The disk is preconfigured with an outstanding desktop environment for both home and business computing. It can be used to install other complete variants of Ubuntu, including Kubuntu (with the KDE environment), Ubuntu Netbook Edition, and Ubuntu Server.
This Barnes & Noble Special Edition also includes a bonus DVD with helpful screencast lessons demonstrating the basics of Ubuntu use and an extra chapter about the exciting new Ubuntu One cloud storage, both free and paid versions, and the Ubuntu One Music Store.