Barnes & Noble Special Edition Includes a Bonus DVD
Ubuntu is a complete, free operating system that emphasizes community, support, and ease of use without compromising speed, power, or flexibility. It’s Linux for human beings—designed for everyone from computer novices to experts. Ubuntu 9.04 is the latest release—more powerful, more flexible, and friendlier than ever. The Official Ubuntu Book, Fourth Edition, will get you up and running quickly.
Written by expert, leading Ubuntu community members, this book covers all you need to know to make the most of Ubuntu 9.04, whether you’re a home user, small business user, server administrator, or programmer. The authors cover Ubuntu 9.04 from start to finish: installation, configuration, desktop productivity, games, management, support, and much more. Among the many topics covered in this edition: Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Server, and a new chapter on the Ubuntu Netbook Remix special to this Barnes & Noble Special Edition.
The Official Ubuntu Book, Fourth Edition, covers standard desktop applications, from word processing, spreadsheets, Web browsing, e-mail, instant messaging, music, video, and games to software development, databases, and server applications. In addition, you will
- Learn how to customize Ubuntu for home, small business, school, government, and enterprise environments
- Learn how to quickly update Ubuntu to accommodate new versions and new applications
- Find up-to-the-minute troubleshooting advice from Ubuntu users worldwide
- Learn Ubuntu Server installation and administration, including LVM and RAID implementation
- Learn, install, and use Ubuntu optimized specifically for Netbooks, the cool new portable small computers
The DVD includes the complete Ubuntu Linux operating system for installation on PC platforms, preconfigured with an outstanding desktop environment for both home and business computing. It can be used to install other complete variants of Ubuntu including, Kubuntu (with the KDE environment), Ubuntu Server, and Edubuntu (for use in schools).
This Barnes & Noble Special Edition also includes a bonus DVD with Ubuntu Netbook Remix, for use on the new and popular ultralight portable computers like the Asus Eee PC and the Dell Mini.