- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Justin McCarthy's introductory survey traces the whole history of the Ottoman Turks from their obscure beginnings in central Asia, through the establishment and rise of the Ottoman Empire to its collapse after World War One under the pressures of nationalism. Vividly illustrated with many maps, this introductory overview is designed for non-specialists but is written with great authority and with access to original sources. It fills an important gap for an authoritative but accessible account of the rise of one of the world's great civilizations.
Prologue: Origins of the Turks, to 1281.
2. The First Ottomans, 1281-1446.
3. The Ottoman Classical Age, 1446-1566.
4. The Ottoman State.
5. Destabilization, 1556-1789.
6. Imperialism and Nationalism.
7. Environment and Life.
8. Turkish Society and Personal Life.
9. Reform, 1789-1912.
10. The Human Disaster.
11. The Great War, 1912-1918.
12. Revival, 1918-1923.