Judith Coucouvanis, MA, APRN, BC, is a psychiatric nurse practitioner and clinical specialist at the University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. She received her bachelor's and master's degrees in Nursing at the University of Iowa. As a clinician, she specialized in the treatment of children with autism spectrum disorders for 30 years. She consults to educational programs and speaks regularly on the topics of social skills training, behavior support, and toilet training, offering practical information to both parents and professionals. (new paragraph) Judith was the 2006 recipient of the International Society of Psychiatric Services Clinical Practice Award and her book The Potty Journey won Gold in the 2010 NAPPA Parenting Resources Competition. She serves as an editorial board member of the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing.
The Potty Journey: Guide to Toilet Training Children with Special Needs, Including Autism and Related Disordersby Judith A. Coucouvanis
Toilet training children with autism and related disorders is fraught with countless challenges stemming from the very core of their unique characteristics. The communication and sensory issues alone can create formidable barriers. As a result, typical strategies are frequently ineffective when used with children with special needs. Using a no-nonsense, often humorous… See more details below
Toilet training children with autism and related disorders is fraught with countless challenges stemming from the very core of their unique characteristics. The communication and sensory issues alone can create formidable barriers. As a result, typical strategies are frequently ineffective when used with children with special needs. Using a no-nonsense, often humorous approach, Judith Coucouvanis, MA, APRN, BC, shares strategies that have produced remarkable results for parents of children with autism and related disorders nationwide. Promising no "quick fixes," The Potty Journey systematically guides you through the entire toileting journey, step-by-step, to the ultimate destination - dry pants By reading The Potty Journey, you will learn about …
• how to tell if the child is "ready"
• easy and time-saving data collection methods
• the importance of routines and how to develop effective routines
• the impact of a consistent schedule
• using rewards effectively
• the hidden curriculum of public restrooms
• the significance of dry pants
• and last, but not least, the importance of being patient and keeping a sense of humor … Along the way, you will hear about how to deal with accidents, obstacles, and other mishaps. Full of useful information and real life examples, The Potty Journey is reader-friendly and helps you organize and make sense of what often seems to be an overwhelming undertaking. Throughout the book, parents, educators and child care providers who have put into practice Judith's strategies share their successes with toilet training children across a wide range of ages and disabilities.
- Autism Asperger Publishing Company
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.40(d)
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >