- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
When young Edward VI of England and a poor boy who resembles him exchange places, each learns something about the other's very different station in life.
|I.||The Birth of The Prince and the Pauper||23|
|II.||Toms Early Life||27|
|III.||Tom's Meeting with the Prince||37|
|IV.||The Prince's Troubles begin||49|
|V.||Tom as a Patrician||57|
|VI.||Tom receives Instructions||73|
|VII.||Tom's First Royal Dinner||89|
|VIII.||The Question of the Seal||97|
|IX.||The River Pageant||103|
|X.||The Prince in the Toils||109|
|XII.||The Prince and His Deliverer||133|
|XIII.||The Disappearence of the Prince||151|
|XIV.||"Le R oi est mort--Vive le R oi"||161|
|XV.||Tom as King||179|
|XVI.||The State Dinner||195|
|XVII.||Foo-Foo the First||203|
|XVIII.||The Prince with the Tramps||223|
|XIX.||The Prince with the Peasants||237|
|XX.||The Prince and the Hermit||247|
|XXI.||Hendon to the Rescue||259|
|XXII.||A Victim of Treachery||269|
|XXIII.||The Prince a Prisoner||281|
|XXXI.||The Recognition Procession||353|
|XXXIII.||Edward as King||385|
|Conclusion: Justice and Retribution||399|
1. The Prince and the Pauper is set in sixteenth-century Tudor England during the reign of Henry VIII. This time was marked by a great social and economic disparity between the rich and the poor. How does Twain tackle this issue in the novel? What did you learn from this time period about democracy and monarchy?
2. Some might say Miles Hendon acts as the "hero" in this novel. What heroic qualities does he possess? Is he lacking any that prevent him from being a true hero?
3. What are some of the similarities between Tom's and Edward's lives? What makes the other's life more appealing to Tom and Edward, respectively? How do they grow through their experiences?
4. In the novel, children believe that Edward is the king while the adults do not. Are there other examples where children have greater knowledge than adults? ConsiderTwain's implications here.
5. The Prince and the Pauper has been compared in style to works of Dickens. What aspect of the novel stands out to you most?