The Promise of Mediation: Responding to Conflict Through Empowerment and Recognition / Edition 1by Robert A. Baruch Bush, Joseph P. Folger
Pub. Date: 01/28/1994
Explores the transformative potential of mediation, showing what that potential is, why it is important, and how it can be realized in practice. Presents an alternative theoretical framework for understanding conflict and mediation, based on valuing both personal strength and compassion for others. Offers a highly concrete, case-illustrated introduction to the… See more details below
Explores the transformative potential of mediation, showing what that potential is, why it is important, and how it can be realized in practice. Presents an alternative theoretical framework for understanding conflict and mediation, based on valuing both personal strength and compassion for others. Offers a highly concrete, case-illustrated introduction to the actual practice of transformative mediation, using a range of examples and two detailed case studies. Drawing on their own experience and on a wide body of research, the authors offer those at all levels in the mediation field—practitioners, administrators, policy makers, and researchers—a new and useful perspective to help take stock of how mediation is currently practiced, assess what it can accomplish, and make choices about how to develop the process in the future. They present a powerful case that realizing the full promise of mediation means giving the transformative approach to mediation a central place in theory, policy, and practice.
Table of Contents
Introduction: The Future of Mediation: What's at Stake and Why It Matters.
MEDIATION AT THE CROSSROADS.
1. The Mediation Movement: Four Diverging Views.
2. Losing Sight of the Goal of Transformation: The Focus on Satisfaction and Settlement.
3. Solving Problems: The Limits of Current Mediation Practice.
THE TRANSFORMATIVE APPROACH TO MEDIATION.
4. Changing People, Not Just Situations: A Transformative View of Conflict and Mediation.
5. Rethinking the Process: A Case Example of How Mediation Might Work.
6. Capturing Opportunities for Empowerment and Recognition: A Case Analysis of Transformative Mediation in Practice.
PRACTICING THE TRANSFORMATIVE APPROACH.
7. Identifying Patterns for Practice: The Process of Transformative Mediation.
8. Avoiding Pitfalls in Transformative Mediation: The Connection Between Purpose and Practice.
A LARGER CONTEXT FOR MEDIATION.
9. Underlying Values: Why Transformation Matters.
10. Implementing the Transformation Approach: Inroads and Obstacles.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >