JAN VENOLIA has been helping people improve their writing for more than 30 years. A veteran writer and editor, Jan lends her expertise to workshops and conferences. She lives in Gualala, California.
The Right Word!: How to Say What You Really Meanby Jan Venolia
Every writer needs help with words: choosing them, using them, spelling them correctly. When is optimal or optimum the better choice? Why use germane when relevant is, well, more relevant? Created for just such tortuous (torturous?) situations, this handy guide provides an A-to-Z listing of troublesome, confusing words, accompanied by clear examples and explanations to help avoid common mistakes. With a discussion on getting the most out of words, a helpful resource section, humorous illustrations, and clever bits of wordplay, this compact reference is an indispensable resource.
• The latest addition to Jan Venolia's Right! series, which has sold more than 600,000 copies.
• With the growing influence of email and other instant communication on the English language, a modern reference is more important than ever.
• Small and portable, this book is easier to carry and to use than some of the larger, bulkier reference works.
• The cover design for WRITE RIGHT! and REWRITE RIGHT! was selected to display in the AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts) 50 Books / 50 Covers Exhibition in 2001. The designer for this series (including The Right Word!) is Paul Kepple, director, Headcase Design, Philadelphia, PA.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 5.40(w) x 7.00(h) x 0.50(d)
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews