The Savage Wars of Peace: England, Japan and the Malthusian Trap / Edition 1by Alan Macfarlane
Pub. Date: 06/04/1997
Through detailed comparative analysis of English and Japanese history the book explores such matters as the destruction of war, decline of famine, the control of fertility. See more details below
Through detailed comparative analysis of English and Japanese history the book explores such matters as the destruction of war, decline of famine, the control of fertility.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.30(w) x 9.40(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
References, Conventions and Measures.
Part I: The Trap:.
1. The Malthusian Trap.
2. Two Islands.
Part II: Wars of Peace:.
3. Natural Environment, Culture and Human Labour.
4. The Destruction of War.
5. The Nature, Causes and Elimination of Famine.
6. Food and Nutrition.
Part III: In the Body: .
7. Dysentery, Typhoid, Cholera and the Water Supply.
8. Drink: Milk, Water, Beer and Tea.
9. Two Methods for the Disposal of Human Excrement.
Part IV: On the Body:.
10. Vector-borne Diseases: Plague, Typhus and Malaria.
11. Public Environs: Streets, Fields and Markets.
12. Housing and Health.
13. Textiles, Clothing and Footwear.
14. Bodily Hygiene: Bathing and Washing.
15. Changing Concepts of Dirt and Cleanliness.
Part V: In the Air:.
16. Air-borne Diseases: Smallpox, Measles and Tuberculosis.
Part VI: In the Womb:.
17. Fertility, Marriage and Sexual Relations.
18. Biology and Contraception.
19. Abortion and Infanticide.
20. Strategies of Heirship.
Part VII: Outcome: .
21. Design and Chance.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >