Read an Excerpt
Sky-High Layered Ice Cream Cake
This is a tremendously versatile recipe. You might use sorbet, other flavors of ice cream, or gelato. Try any thick sauce, such as chocolate, caramel, marshmallow, fruit or berry, and garnish with crushed candies, cookies, or other nuts.
· 3 pints chocolate gelato or ice cream, slightly softened
· One 13-ounce jar Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
· 2 pints hazelnut gelato or ice cream, slightly softened
· 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
1. Spoon the chocolate gelato in small pieces into a 9-inch springform pan, filling in any large holes, then spread it evenly with a warm rubber spatula. Pour half of the Nutella over the gelato and spread it evenly with a small offset spatula. Freeze for at least 1 hour, or until firm.
2. Spoon the hazelnut gelato over the Nutella in small pieces, filling in any large holes, then spread it evenly with a warm rubber spatula. Pour the remaining Nutella over the gelato and spread it evenly with the offset spatula. Scatter the hazelnuts over the top of the cake, then press in. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and freeze for at least 6 hours, or up to 2 weeks.
3. To serve, let the cake stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes or in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the pan, release the side of the pan, and remove it. Cut the cake into wedges.