The Sociology of Health, Healing and Illness / Edition 4by Gregory L. Weiss, Lynne E. Lonnquist
Pub. Date: 03/28/2002
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Designed to reflect important changes in health care and significant advancements in medical sociology, this reader-friendly book provides a readable, interesting, and in-depth overview of the field. It offers solid coverage of traditional topics with a keen focus on the current issues and public policy debates affecting this dynamic area of study. The volume offers perspectives on the sociology of health, healing, and illness, the influence of the social environment on health and illness, health and illness behavior, health care practitioners and their relationships with patients and a look at the social implications of health care technology and comparative health care systems. For individuals looking for an appreciation for how the sociological perspective and social theory contribute to health, healing and illness.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.48(w) x 9.22(h) x 0.68(d)
Table of Contents
I. PERSPECTIVES ON THE SOCIOLOGY OF HEALTH, HEALING, AND ILLNESS.
2. The Development of Scientific Medicine.
II. THE INFLUENCE OF THE SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT ON HEALTH AND ILLNESS.
4. Society, Disease, and Illness.
5. Social Stress.
III. HEALTH AND ILLNESS BEHAVIOR.
7. Experiencing Illness and Disability.
IV. HEALTH CARE PRACTITIONERS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIPS WITH PATIENTS.
9. Medical Education and the Socialization of Physicians.
10. Nurses, Mid-Level Health Care Practitioners, and Allied Health Workers.
11. Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
12. The Physician-Patient Relationship: Background and Models.
13. Professional and Ethical Obligations of Physicians in the Physician-Patient Relationship.
V. THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.
15. Health Care Delivery.
16. The Social Implications of Health Care Technology.
17. Comparative Health Care Systems.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >