- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Drawing from over 200 superintendents spanning the past decade, this guide provides a leadership framework for the modern, successful superintendent.
Acknowledgments About the Authors I. Orientation
2. Introduction: Leading Learning in New Times
3. The "Commonplaces" of School Leadership II. Leading Your Schools
1. Orientation: Leadership Theory for the Theoretically Challenged
2. Thinking About Your Organization
3. Encouraging Adaptive Leadership
4. Creating Your Learning Organization
5. Reflective Practice III. Coping With Governance Challenges
2. It's Rough Out There
3. Working With Your Board
4. Dealing With Your Unions
5. General Rules of the Road
6. Reflective Practice IV. Understanding Standards and Assessment
2. Where We Are on Standards and Assessment
3. What the Data Tell You
4. Questions for Reflective Practice V. Addressing Race and Class
1. Orientation: Why Race and Class?
2. Difficult Conversations
3. What's Going On Inside Schools
4. . . . And What's Going On Outside Them
5. Reflective Practice VI. Developing Your Principals
1. Leading Student Learning
2. The Instructional Leader's Toolkit
3. Facilitating Change
4. Questions for Reflective Practice VII. Collaborating With Your Allies
1. Orientation: What Is Collaboration?
2. What Does Collaboration Require?
3. Collaboration in the Field: Early Care and Education
4. Questions for Reflective Practice VIII. Engaging Your Community
2. Public Engagement
3. Working With Your News and Media Outlets
4. Communications Planning
5. Reflective Practice IX. So What Does All This Mean?
1. Reconciling Commonplaces and Images
2. Four Leadership Styles
3. Questions for Reflective Practice Appendices Appendix A: The Forum for the American School Superintendent Appendix B: Members of the Forum for the American School Superintendent Appendix C: Contributors Index