The Unofficial Guide to Smart Nutrition / Edition 1by Ross Hume Hall
Pub. Date: 03/28/2000
Everyone has heard that eating too much cholesterol and fat will lead to heart disease, that no matter how many diets Americans endure they are still overweight, that inappropriate food choices can lead to adult-onset diabetes, yet most people seem to have more and more difficulty meeting their bodies' nutritional needs. Clearly they are eating more, but they aren't eating smart. The Unofficial Guide to Smart Nutrition shows readers:
* What the USDA Food Pyramid reveals -- and what it doesn't
* Why frozen is better than canned but fresh is the best of all
* What the food industry doesn't want you to know about luncheon meats
* Why vitamin and mineral supplements can't rescue a poor diet
* Which chemicals in food may cause illness, and how to avoid carcinogens
* How to make a superior peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Table of Contents
I. A Cell's-eye View of Nourishment.
1. The Basics of Smart Nutrition.
II. Smart Nutrition in Your Basic Food Categories.
2. Fruits and Vegetables.
3. Grains, Legumes, and Nuts.
4. Extracted Fats and Oils.
5. Meats, Fish, Poultry, and Eggs.
6. Dairy: Milk, Cheese, Ice Cream, and Yogurts.
III. Special Features of Smart Nutrition.
7. Reading Between the Lines of Nutrition Labels.
8. To Supplement or Not to Supplement Is No Longer the Question.
9. Vegetarianism: Should You Move Towards a Plant-based Diet?
10. Dining Out: Smart Eating in Restaurants.
IV. Nutrition Pitfalls.
11. Don't Let Bad Food Habits Cancel Fitness Benefits.
12. Sensible Weight Loss Versus Fad Diets.
13. Food Safety: Avoiding Foodborne Illness.
V. Medical Issues.
14. Holistic Nutrition Against Cancer, Heart Disease, and Other Degenerative Diseases.
15. Dealing with Food Allergies.
VI. The Art of Smart Nutrition.
16. Teen Health Starts in the Womb.
17. Nutrition Through the Ages: Young Adult to Golden Years.
B. Resource Guide.
C. Recommended Reading List.
D. Important Documents.
E. Guides to Nutritional Quality Levels.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >