The UX Book: Process and Guidelines for Ensuring a Quality User Experienceby Rex Hartson, Partha Pyla
Pub. Date: 03/02/2012
Publisher: Elsevier Science
The UX Book: Process and Guidelines for Ensuring a Quality User Experience aims to help readers learn how to create and refine interaction designs that ensure a quality user experience (UX). The book seeks to expand the concept of traditional usability to a broader notion of user experience; to provide a hands-on, practical guide to best practices and… See more details below
The UX Book: Process and Guidelines for Ensuring a Quality User Experience aims to help readers learn how to create and refine interaction designs that ensure a quality user experience (UX). The book seeks to expand the concept of traditional usability to a broader notion of user experience; to provide a hands-on, practical guide to best practices and established principles in a UX lifecycle; and to describe a pragmatic process for managing the overall development effort.
The book provides an iterative and evaluation-centered UX lifecycle template, called the Wheel, for interaction design. Key concepts discussed include contextual inquiry and analysis; extracting interaction design requirements; constructing design-informing models; design production; UX goals, metrics, and targets; prototyping; UX evaluation; the interaction cycle and the user action framework; and UX design guidelines.
This book will be useful to anyone interested in learning more about creating interaction designs to ensure a quality user experience. These include interaction designers, graphic designers, usability analysts, software engineers, programmers, systems analysts, software quality-assurance specialists, human factors engineers, cognitive psychologists, cosmic psychics, trainers, technical writers, documentation specialists, marketing personnel, and project managers.
- A very broad approach to user experience through its components-usability, usefulness, and emotional impact with special attention to lightweight methods such as rapid UX evaluation techniques and an agile UX development process
- Universal applicability of processes, principles, and guidelines-not just for GUIs and the Web, but for all kinds of interaction and devices: embodied interaction, mobile devices, ATMs, refrigerators, and elevator controls, and even highway signage
- Extensive design guidelines applied in the context of the various kinds of affordances necessary to support all aspects of interaction
- Real-world stories and contributions from accomplished UX practitioners
- A practical guide to best practices and established principles in UX
- A lifecycle template that can be instantiated and tailored to a given project, for a given type of system development, on a given budget
- Elsevier Science
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 9.30(w) x 12.20(h) x 4.50(d)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction Part I: Process Chapter 2: The Wheel: A Lifecycle Template Chapter 3: Contextual Inquiry: Eliciting Work Activity Data Chapter 4: Contextual Analysis: Consolidating and Interpreting Work Activity Data Chapter 5: Extracting Interaction Design Requirements Chapter 6: Constructing Design-Informing Models Chapter 7: Design Thinking, Ideation and Sketching Chapter 8: Mental Models and Conceptual Design Chapter 9: Design Production Chapter 10: UX Goals, Metrics and Targets Chapter 11: Prototyping Chapter 12: UX Evaulation Introduction Chapter 13: Rapid Evaluation Methods Chapter 14: Rigorous Empirical Evaluation: Preparation Chapter 15: Rigorous Empirical Evaluation: Running the Session Chapter 16: Rigorous Empirical Evaluation: Analysis Chapter 17: Evaluation Reporting Chapter 18: Wrapping up Rigorous UX Evaluation Chapter 19: UX Methods for Agile Development Part II: Design Infrastructure Guidelines Chapter 20: Affordances Demystified Chapter 21: The Interaction Cycle and the User Action Framework Chapter 22: UX Design Guidelines Part III: Advanced Topics Chapter 23: Connections with Software Engineering Chapter 24: Making it Work in the Real World References Exercises Index
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >