The UX Book: Process and Guidelines for Ensuring a Quality User Experienceby Rex Hartson, Pardha S. Pyla
Pub. Date: 03/02/2012
Publisher: Elsevier Science
The UX Book: Process and Guidelines for Ensuring a Quality User Experience aims to help readers learn how to create and refine interaction designs that ensure a quality user experience (UX). The book seeks to expand the concept of traditional usability to a broader notion of user experience; to provide a hands-on, practical guide to best practices and
The UX Book: Process and Guidelines for Ensuring a Quality User Experience aims to help readers learn how to create and refine interaction designs that ensure a quality user experience (UX). The book seeks to expand the concept of traditional usability to a broader notion of user experience; to provide a hands-on, practical guide to best practices and established principles in a UX lifecycle; and to describe a pragmatic process for managing the overall development effort.
The book provides an iterative and evaluation-centered UX lifecycle template, called the Wheel, for interaction design. Key concepts discussed include contextual inquiry and analysis; extracting interaction design requirements; constructing design-informing models; design production; UX goals, metrics, and targets; prototyping; UX evaluation; the interaction cycle and the user action framework; and UX design guidelines.
This book will be useful to anyone interested in learning more about creating interaction designs to ensure a quality user experience. These include interaction designers, graphic designers, usability analysts, software engineers, programmers, systems analysts, software quality-assurance specialists, human factors engineers, cognitive psychologists, cosmic psychics, trainers, technical writers, documentation specialists, marketing personnel, and project managers.
- A very broad approach to user experience through its componentsusability, usefulness, and emotional impact with special attention to lightweight methods such as rapid UX evaluation techniques and an agile UX development process
- Universal applicability of processes, principles, and guidelinesnot just for GUIs and the Web, but for all kinds of interaction and devices: embodied interaction, mobile devices, ATMs, refrigerators, and elevator controls, and even highway signage
- Extensive design guidelines applied in the context of the various kinds of affordances necessary to support all aspects of interaction
- Real-world stories and contributions from accomplished UX practitioners
- A practical guide to best practices and established principles in UX
- A lifecycle template that can be instantiated and tailored to a given project, for a given type of system development, on a given budget
- Elsevier Science
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 9.30(w) x 12.20(h) x 4.50(d)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction Part I: Process Chapter 2: The Wheel: A Lifecycle Template Chapter 3: Contextual Inquiry: Eliciting Work Activity Data Chapter 4: Contextual Analysis: Consolidating and Interpreting Work Activity Data Chapter 5: Extracting Interaction Design Requirements Chapter 6: Constructing Design-Informing Models Chapter 7: Design Thinking, Ideation and Sketching Chapter 8: Mental Models and Conceptual Design Chapter 9: Design Production Chapter 10: UX Goals, Metrics and Targets Chapter 11: Prototyping Chapter 12: UX Evaulation Introduction Chapter 13: Rapid Evaluation Methods Chapter 14: Rigorous Empirical Evaluation: Preparation Chapter 15: Rigorous Empirical Evaluation: Running the Session Chapter 16: Rigorous Empirical Evaluation: Analysis Chapter 17: Evaluation Reporting Chapter 18: Wrapping up Rigorous UX Evaluation Chapter 19: UX Methods for Agile Development Part II: Design Infrastructure Guidelines Chapter 20: Affordances Demystified Chapter 21: The Interaction Cycle and the User Action Framework Chapter 22: UX Design Guidelines Part III: Advanced Topics Chapter 23: Connections with Software Engineering Chapter 24: Making it Work in the Real World References Exercises Index
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >