Major and Mrs Holt founded the first organisation to offer battlefield tours to the general public in the late 1970s. Since the 1990s they have been writing their series of guide books, incorporating all that they have learned from their experiences conducting thousands of people around battlefields. This series, designed to serve as companions for travellers, whether sitting at home or physically visiting the battlefields, includes detailed travel directions, military history, fascinating anecdotes and tourist information. The Holts share the writing of their books equally and conduct all their own research, spending many weeks on the ground as they prepare each new book or update previously published titles.
The Western Front - North: Battlefield Guideby Tonie Holt
Whether travelling on the ground or in
Following in their best-selling series of Battlefield Guides this is a companion volume to the Holts’ Western Front – South Guide. Between the two, they cover the main WW1 Western Front battlefields. This book covers 15 of the most significant battles of the northern area from Nieuwport to just north of The Somme.
Whether travelling on the ground or in the mind, the reader is carefully guided through the battlefields with a mixture of succinct military history, cameo memories and stories of VCs and other personalities, interspersed with references to the literature and poetry of the war.
This guidebook is based on Tonie and Valmai Holt's 30 years’ experience of researching, guiding tours and writing about the area, with their unique blend of male and female points of view. It is written to the high standards that have come to be expected of these highly respected authors who are credited with pioneering the modern battlefield tour and whose guide books are referred to as 'The Bibles' .
This new edition contains:
• Brief Historical Background and Summary of each battle, Opening Moves and What Happened, with appropriate quotations
• Sketch Map for each battle showing battle lines, routes etc and all points of interest described on each timed itinerary
• Large Sketch Map putting the battlefields (north and south) into perspective
• Memorials, Museums, Sites of Interest (bunkers, craters etc)
• War Grave Cemeteries – Allied and German
• GPS Location for every recommended stop
• War Graves and Commemorative Associations
• Cameos about individual personalities
• Useful Tourist Information – Where to stay and eat
An excellent Guidebook to the Ypres, Yser, Vimy Ridge, Arras and other Flanders battlefields with concise descriptions of the battles from 1914 to 1918 and directions for tours and routes.
WWI Historical Association
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >