- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: cadiz, KY
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
“The book's greatest strength is how succinct it is. It covers all of the major topics in a clean and organized manner.”
-Derrick Griffey, Gadsden State Community College
“Accessible and to the point without diluting history or talking down to students.”
-Sigrun Haude, University of Cincinnati
“The most comprehensive treatment...that I know, delivered in a very detailed and intelligent prose, but also with a lot of attractive lively features, such as primary sources, timelines, maps, review questions and so forth. “
-Patricia Behre, Fairfield University
“Students like the book, and easily extract from it what the authors (and the instructors) intend them too.”
-Hans Broedel, University of North Dakota
“The text has (very) good chapter organization and the content is solid. The intro page to each chapter is helpful (for) previewing major chapter developments and outlining the key topics.”
-Jean Glockler, Moraine Valley Community College
“The selected documents, pictures, maps, and other supplements are wonderful tools for all readers. In short, it is an excellent work for college students.”
-Margarita Youngo, Pima Community College
(NOTE: Volume I consists of Chapters 1-15, Volume II consists of Chapters 13-31, and the Combined Volume consists of Chapters 1-31).
1. The Birth of Civilization.
2. The Rise of Greek Civilization.
3. Classical and Hellenistic Greece.
4. Rome: From Republic to Empire.
5. The Roman Empire.
6. The Early Middle Ages: The Birth of Europe (476-1000).
7. The High Middle Ages: The Rise of European Empires and States (1000-1300).
8. Medieval Society: Hierarchies, Towns, Universities, and Families (1000-1300).
9. The Late Middle Ages: Social and Political Breakdown (1300-1527).
10. Renaissance and Discovery.
11. The Age of Reformation.
12. The Age of Religious Wars.
13. Paths to Constitutionalism and Absolutionism: England and France in the Seventeenth Century.
14. New Directions in Thought and Culture in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries.
15. Successful and Unsuccessful Paths to Power (1686-1740).
16. Society and Economy Under the Old Regime in the Eighteenth Century.
17. The Transatlantic Economy: Trade Wars and Colonial Rebellion.
18. The Age of Enlightenment: Eighteenth-Century Thought.
19. The French Revolution.
20. The Age of Napoleon and the Triumph of Romanticism.
21. The Conservative Order and the Challenges of Reform (1815-1832).
22. Economic Advance and Social Unrest (1830-1850).
23. The Age of Nation-States.
24. TheBuilding of European Supremacy: Society and Politics to World War I.
25. The Birth of Modern European Thought.
26. Imperialism, Alliances, and War.
27. Political Experiments of the 1920s.
28. Europe and the Great Depression of the 1930s.
29. World War II.
30. Faces of the Twentieth Century: European Social Experiences.
31. The Cold War Ear and the Emergence of the New Europe.