Theories of Development: Concepts and Applications / Edition 3by William C. Crain
Pub. Date: 11/28/1991
Publisher: Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference
This book covers twenty-two theories of development and their implication on education. It also introduces readers to the theorists behind the theories in a lively and easily accessible manner. Comparing and contrasting the theories covered, the book focuses on theorists who follow the developmental tradition of Rousseau - such as Gesell, Piaget, and Montessori - and their belief that we grow largely from our inner promptings and spontaneous discoveries at different times throughout our lifetimes. In addition, the author looks at theorists in the environmental/learning tradition. For anyone interested in the philosophy of child rearing and education, relative to a child's growth and the growth of our society as a whole.
- Prentice Hall Professional Technical Reference
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.02(w) x 8.96(h) x 0.70(d)
Table of Contents1. Early Theories: Preformationism, Locke, and Rousseau.
2. Gesell's Maturational Theory.
3. Ethological Theories: Darwin, Lorenz and Tinbergen, Bowlby, and Ainsworth.
4. Montessori's Educational Philosophy.
5. Werner's Organismic and Comparative Theory.
6. Piaget's Cognitive-Developmental Theory.
7. Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Development.
8. Learning Theory: Pavlov, Watson, and Skinner.
9. Bandura's Social Learning Theory.
10. Vygotsky's Social-Historical Theory of Cognitive Development.
11. Freud's Psychoanalytic Theory.
12. Erikson and the Eight Stages of Life.
13. Mahler's Separation/Individuation Theory.
14. A Case Study in Psychoanalytic Treatment: Bettelheim on Autism.
15. Schachtel on Childhood Experiences.
16. Jung's Theory of Adulthood.
17. Chomsky's Theory of Language Development.
18. Conclusion: Humanistic Psychology and Developmental Theory.
Epilogue: A Developmental Perspective on the Standards Movement.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >