- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: centerville, OH
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
This is a reprint of a classic which synthesizes population, genetics, and population genetics to form one of the first books on evolutionary ecology. Written by one of the foremost authorities in the field, it is designed as an introduction useful to readers at various levels from diverse backgrounds. It features balanced, readable coverge of both elementary and advanced topics that are essential to those interested in evolutionary biology, ecology, animal behavior, sociobiology, and paleobiology.
0. Introductory Survey of Population Phenomena.
I. THE BASICS OF POPULATION GENETICS.
1. An Overview of Population Genetics.
2. The Hardy-Weinberg Law.
3. Natural Selection and Mutation at One Locus with Two Alleles.
4. The Fundamental Theorem of Natural Selection.
5. Genetic Drift.
6. The Neutrality Controversy.
II. COMPLEX GENETIC SYSTEMS.
7. Natural Selection with Multiple Alleles at One Locus.
8. Population Genetics with Multiple Loci.
9. Natural Selection and Quantitative Inheritance.
10. Nonrandom Mating.
III. SPECIAL TOPICS IN EVOLUTION.
11. Evolution of the Genetic System.
12. Evolution in Spatially Varying Environments.
13. Natural Selection in Temporally Varying Environments.
14. The Evolution of Altruism: Kin Selection and Group Selection.
IV. EVOLUTIONARY ECOLOGY OF SINGLE POPULATIONS.
15. An Overview of Evolutionary Ecology.
16. Exponential and Logistic Population Growth.
17. Density-Dependent Natural Selection.
18. Population Growth with Age Structure.
19. Age-Specific Selection and Life History Strategies.
20. Stochastic Environments: Extinction, Resource Tracking, and Patchiness.
V. EVOLUTIONARY ECOLOGY OF INTERACTING POPULATIONS.
23. Coevolution in Ecological Systems.
24. Niche Theory and Island Biogeography.
A1. The Mean and Variance.
A2. How to Write a Computer Program in BASIC.
A3. Matrix Algebra and Stability Theory.