Read an ExcerptThey Like Jesus but Not the Church Participant's Guide Six Sessions Responding to Culture's Objections to Christianity
By Dan Kimball Zondervan Copyright © 2008 Dan Kimball
All right reserved.
Chapter One SESSION 1
THE DANGER OF THE CHRISTIAN BUBBLE
In J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring, Galadriel, the elf queen played by Kate Blanchett in the movie, says a classic line about the changes happening in Middle Earth. She says to Frodo, "The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air." THEY LIKE JESUS BUT NOT THE CHURCH, P. 15
DVD SEGMENT #1
Let's watch as Dan Kimball talks to various students at a local college campus about their impressions of Jesus and then discusses their responses. With each video clip throughout the study, space for note-taking is provided here in the participant's guide.
Students' impressions of Jesus
Students' impressions of Christians
The four phases of being a Christian
Phase 1: We become Christians
Phase 2: We become part of church life
Phase 3: We enter the Christian bubble
Phase 4: We become Jonah Christians
The Christian bubble
GROUP STUDY AND DISCUSSION #1
1. If you were to ask the same questions from the DVD presentation at a local college campus in your community, do you think you would hear similar answers or different ones? Explain.
2. Why is it is so easy to be in the Christian bubble? Are there benefits of being in the bubble?
3. Do you think you could possibly be in the bubble yourself or headed that direction? Identify ways you may be in the bubble or approaching it.
4. Look up the following Scriptures. What does each reveal about what it means to be living outside of the bubble and escaping the bubble if you need to?
EXTRA: What do you think Jesus meant in this passage by "the world"? What do you think he meant by "evil"? (See appendix, pages 107-108, for responses.)
EXTRA: In this passage, what was the primary reason Jesus said the Holy Spirit was going to be sent?
5. Jesus said we are to be salt and light to our culture, but Scripture also tells us to support and care for the community of believers. How do we balance both of these roles in our week-to-week lives?
DVD SEGMENT #2
Let's watch as Dan Kimball talks about how even the pop culture versions of Jesus can become a launching point to talking about issues of faith.
Jesus bobblehead and Pink Jesus
Starting point for a conversation about Jesus
Excerpted from They Like Jesus but Not the Church Participant's Guide by Dan Kimball Copyright © 2008 by Dan Kimball. Excerpted by permission.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.