This Is My Song!: A Collection of Gospel Music for the Familyby Vy Higgenson, Brenda Joysmith
Illustrated in full color with black-and-white photographs. Gospel music has long been a major part of African American culture, and this gorgeous book captures its unique spirit in words, music, photographs, and dazzling artwork. In her introduction, Vy Higginsen traces gospel's roots: from the hymns and spirituals sung by slaves in the 19th century to the musical flavor of jazz and blues, and above all, the energy and spontaneity of group singing in church. Her account is supplemented by an album of archival photographs that document gospel, from 1930s Chicago to the stars of today. The body of the book features 30 songs that have become standards in the gospel repertoire, in authentic original arrangements for piano. The songs are complemented by Brenda Joysmith's lavish original paintings that beautifully convey the essence and experience of gospel music.
- Random House Children's Books
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 9.10(w) x 13.85(h) x 0.89(d)
- Age Range:
- 7 Years
Meet the Author
Vy Higginsen has parlayed twenty-five years of experience in the fields of fashion, advertising, publishing, and radio and television into becoming one of the few African-American international
female producers of musicals, theatrical productions and recordings.
* Vy is the writer, producer and director of Mama, I Want to Sing, the longest running and best- loved off-Broadway black musical in the history of American theater.
* This is My Song, Vy's latest book for children, is a collection of gospel favorites intended to preserve and promote gospel music and culture for many generations to come.
* Vy, the daughter of a Pentecostal minister, was born and raised in Harlem in New York City. She still resides in New York City today, along with her husband and daughter.
* Vy is currently the voice of the popular New York City radio station KISS-FM, and also runs her own theatrical production company.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >