Tigers of the World: The Science, Politics and Conservation of Panthera tigris / Edition 2by Ronald Tilson
Pub. Date: 01/29/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Science
The second edition of Tigers of the World explores tiger biology, ecology, conservation, management, and the science and technology that make this possible. In 1988, when the first edition was published, tiger conservation was still in its infancy, and two decades later there has been a revolution not only in what is known, but how information about tigers/i>… See more details below
The second edition of Tigers of the World explores tiger biology, ecology, conservation, management, and the science and technology that make this possible. In 1988, when the first edition was published, tiger conservation was still in its infancy, and two decades later there has been a revolution not only in what is known, but how information about tigers is obtained and disseminated. In the fast changing world of conservation, there is a great need to summarize the vast and current state-of-the-art, to put this into historical perspective, and to speculate in what yet remains to be done. Tigers of the World, 2e fulfills this need by bringing together in a unique way the world’s leading tiger experts into one volume. Despite the challenges ahead, there are bright spots in this story and lessons aplenty not only for tiger specialists but large carnivore specialists, conservation biologists, wildlife managers, natural resource policymakers, and most importantly the caring public.
*Examines the past twenty years of research from the world’s leading tiger expertson biology, politics, and conservation.
*Describes latest methods used to disseminate and obtaininformation needed for conservation and care of this species.
*Includes coverage on genetics and ecology, policy, poaching and trade, captive breeding and farming, and the status of Asia’s last wild tigers.
*Excellent resource for grad courses in conservation biology, wildlife management, and veterinary programs.
*New volume continues the classic Noyes Series in Animal Behavior, Ecology, Conservation and Management.
- Elsevier Science
- Publication date:
- Noyes Series in Animal Behavior, Ecology, Conservation, and Management Series
- Product dimensions:
- 7.80(w) x 9.30(h) x 1.30(d)
Table of ContentsCurrent Knowledge of Wild Tigers
• The Evolution of Tiger Extinction
• What is a Tiger?
• The Evolution and Taxonomy of Tigers
• The Conservation and Management of Tigers
• Tigers and Landscapes
• Tigers and Conflict
• Tigers and Trade
• Tigers and the Future: Reintroducing Tigers and Restoring Tiger Habitat
• Tools for Tiger Research and Conservation
• Research and Monitoring: Field Methods for Tiger Conservation Biology
• Recruiting, Training, and Inserting Anti-Poaching Teams
• Linking People, Tigers, and Livelihoods
• Techniques for Identifying and Managing the Trade in Tiger Parts
• Regional Reviews: Science, Conservation, and Politics
• Amur Tigers and the Russian Far East
• Bengal Tigers and the Indian Subcontinent
• Indochinese Tigers and Indochina
• South China Tiger
• Sumatran Tigers and Indonesia
• Captive Tigers
• Caring for Tigers in Captivity
• Understanding Genetic and Demographic Management of Captive Tigers
• Tigers in the Backyard
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
It's a lot of$$$$