Lisa Miller is the former religion editor of Newsweek and the author of many cover stories on faith and society. her 2010 book, Heaven: Our Enduring Fascination with the Afterlife, earned a starred Publisher's Weekly review, which declared, "this marvelous work is a readable and wonderfully realized study of this constant hope that we share." Booklist said, "Miller's whilwind tour of heaven is an entertaining primer on a most complex subject."
TIME Visions of Heavenby Lisa Miller
Where do we go from here? TIME brings you a visually inspiring exploration of humankind's speculation about the afterlife, from the Christian view of heaven to its myriad spiritual and literary versions: Valhalla, Nirvana, Shangri-La and many other concepts of paradise. The quest is not just a spiritual one, but a scientific and eyewitness journey as well. Fully 85% of Americans believe in heaven, according to Gallup, and now TIME takes you on an unforgettable quest into what it may look like.
Our quest for understanding the afterlife include:
- What are the common elements (and key differences) in how cultures around the world view the afterlife?
- Ware Near-death Experiences and why do so many people report similar accounts?
- Do we have a psychological need to believe in life after death?
- How did the biblical version of heaven take shape?
- What are the best literary depictions of heaven, from "Pardiso" by Dante to "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold.
- Time Home Entertainment, Inc
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.50(w) x 9.60(h) x 0.80(d)
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews