Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photographyby Tony Northrup
1. FREE VIDEO TRAINING. 6 HOURS of video training integrated into the book’s content (requires Internet access). Travel around the world with Tony and Chelsea as they teach you
The #1 rated and best-selling digital photography book, and the first ever Gold Honoree of the Benjamin Franklin Digital Award, gives you five innovations no other book offers:
1. FREE VIDEO TRAINING. 6 HOURS of video training integrated into the book’s content (requires Internet access). Travel around the world with Tony and Chelsea as they teach you hands-on. Appendix A lists the videos so you can use the book like an inexpensive video course.
2. TEACHER AND PEER SUPPORT. After buying the book, you get access to the private Stunning Digital Photography Readers group on Facebook where you can ask the questions and post pictures for feedback from Tony, Chelsea, and other readers. It’s like being able to raise your hand in class and ask a question! Instructions are in the introduction.
3. FREE LIFETIME UPDATES. This book is regularly updated with new content (including additional videos) that existing owners receive for free. Updates are added based on reader feedback and questions, as well as changing photography trends and new camera equipment. This is the last photography book you'll ever need.
4. HANDS-ON PRACTICES. Complete the practices at the end of every chapter to get the real world experience you need.
5. 500+ ORIGINAL PICTURES. Detailed example pictures taken by the author and his wife in 15 countries demonstrate both good and bad technique. NO STOCK PHOTOS. Many pictures include links to the full-size image so you can zoom in to see every pixel.
In this book, Tony Northrup (award-winning author of more than 30 how-to books and a professional portrait, wildlife, and landscape photographer) teaches the art and science of creating stunning pictures. First, beginner photographers will master:
• Shutter speed
• Depth-of-field (blurring the background)
• Natural light
• Troubleshooting blurry, dark, and bad pictures
• Pet photography
• Wildlife photography (mammals, birds, insects, fish, and more)
• Sunrises and sunsets
• Forests, waterfalls, and rivers
• Night photography
• Raw files
• Macro/close-up photography
Advanced photographers can skip forward to learn the pro's secrets for:
• Posing men and women. including corrective posing (checklists provided)
• Portraits (candid, casual, formal, and underwater)
• Remotely triggering flashes
• Using bounce flash and flash modifiers
• Taking group photos
• Using studio lighting on any budget
• Building a temporary or permanent studio at home
• Shooting your first wedding
• High speed photography
• Location scouting/finding the best spots and times
• Planning shoots around the sun and moon
• Star trails (via long exposure and image stacking)
• Light painting
• Eliminating noise
• Focus stacking for infinite depth-of-field
• Underwater photography
• Getting close to wildlife
• Using electronic shutter triggers
• Photographing moving cars
• Photographing architecture and real estate
- Mason Press, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 18.70(w) x 9.90(h) x 0.40(d)
Meet the Author
Award-winning author and photographer Tony Northrup has published more than 30 how-to books and sold more than a million copies around the world. His photos have been featured on magazine covers, book covers, CD covers, TV shows, calendars, and much more. Tony studied photography at the New England School of Photography and the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. He runs a stock and portrait photography business with his family, Chelsea and Madelyn, out of his home studio in Waterford, CT. He shoots travel and nature photography everywhere he goes.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
I've been a photographer for years and have many photography books, but this is by far my favorite. The author is concise, thorough, and easy to understand. He uses pictures, videos, diagrams, and even an advice/critique forum on his Facebook (Tony Northrup Photography) to make sure the lesson really sinks in. The book also includes free updates (I've gotten one already) so that you never have to buy the next edition. I'm really impressed by the quality and commitment of this author and book. Great job, Tony!
I bought this book a year ago, this was for a gift and will be my "go to gift" for all photographer friends. Not only is this book the most easy to understand, but the book comes with free videos to watch along with each chapter. So you have the advantage of reading then seeing the technique in action. This book comes with FREE lifetime updates!! You won't find another book that does that!! There is a HUGE Stunning Digital Photography group on FB where you can post your pics, get advice, etc. I have N.E.V.E.R. been part of another group as generous with their time and knowledge to help a person better their photography skills! They also have a Lightroom 5 Book that is just as outstanding!! I have learned tips from the first 2 chapters of the the LR 5 book that I didn't learn when I took a 6 week Community College course to learn Lightroom!! Don't look any further...GO BUY THIS BOOK!!!
Northrup's book smartly integrates online content that can be accessed directly from the e-book. The writing style has just enough info without being verbose. I feel very prepared to take decent photos after reading it.
I really am enjoying the video feature to this book. It makes some of the marterial easier to understand when he shows you examples. Although I have not completed this book as I am going through slowly like a text book I am learning a ton and enjoying my camera more with each chapter.
I love this book. I purchased the ebook edition for my NOOK and can't put it down. Awsome!!!
This is the best book for learning photography. It's taking me a while to read it because I keep stopping to practice my photography. I've learned so much! the other books I read never inspired me, but the pictures are (mostly) amazing and the language is easy to understand. It's very practical. If you want to take better pictures, this is the book for you.