- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Twenty-three nationally-known educators discuss educational technology and diversity, provide historical and philosophical insights into digital divide issues, and offer practical suggestions for teachers, administrators, and policy makers. This book is designed to help educators understand complex technology issues and to equip them to meet whatever challenges keep their students from having full access to a quality education through technology. It discusses how schools acquire hardware, software, and connectivity, and why some schools experience such success in these endeavors and others are heartbreakingly behind. Perhaps most importantly, it examines the most current research in the effectiveness of technology and pedagogy in diverse settings to make suggestions on how teachers can create powerful learning environments for all students. Technology coordinators, teachers and school administrators.
About the Authors.
Preface: Digital Equity and the Future (with acknowledgements), Gwen Solomon.
Introduction: Educational Technology and Equity, Gwen Solomon and Nancy Allen.
I. SETTING THE STAGE.
1. Creating Educational Access, Karin M. Wiburg and Julia F. Butler.
2. Barriers to Equity, Kathleen Fulton and Robert Sibley.
3. Factors of the Divide, Karin M. Wiburg, Rudolfo Chàvez- Chàvez, Jeanette Haynes Writer, Maria Mercado, Jim O'Donnell, Elissa Poel, and Paula Wolfe.
II. POWER AND LITERACY
4. Empowering Individuals, Schools, and Communities, Joyce Pittman.
5. Defining Literacy for the 21st Century, Kevin Rocap.
III. LEARNERS AND TECHNOLOGY.
6. Connections Across Culture, Demography and New Technologies, Henry T. Ingle.
7. Technologies and Native America: A Double-Edged Sword, Vivian Delgado.
8. Building Learning Communities, Amy Staples and Joyce Pittman.
9. Gender Issues or the Gender Divide, Lynne Schrum and Sandra Geisler.
10. Refocusing Curricula, Lynne Schrum and Bonnie Bracey.
IV. ROADMAP TO THE FUTURE.
11. Professional Development for Change, Carmen L. Gonzales and Steven A. Sánchez.
12. Leadership for a Changing World, Nancy Allen and Linda Wing.
13. Building Meaningful Organizational Change, Karen M. Keenan and Joan M. Karp.
14. Assessing Equity in Educational Technology, J. David Ramirez.
15. Policy Implications of Moving Toward Digital Equity, Paul Resta and Robert McLaughlin.
Conclusion: Technology's Promise, Gwen Solomon.
Resource List, Pat Laster and Cheryl Grable.