Toward Healthy Aging / Edition 4by Priscilla Ebersole
Pub. Date: 01/01/1994
Publisher: Mosby, Incorporated
TOWARD HEALTHY AGING is based on Maslow's conceptual framework of human needs from the basic to the transcendental. With a focus on wellness and healthy aging, this fifth edition emphasizes the individuality of the aged and the humanistic and spiritual potential for further development in late life. Disease processes are discussed in the context of healthy… See more details below
TOWARD HEALTHY AGING is based on Maslow's conceptual framework of human needs from the basic to the transcendental. With a focus on wellness and healthy aging, this fifth edition emphasizes the individuality of the aged and the humanistic and spiritual potential for further development in late life. Disease processes are discussed in the context of healthy adaptation, nursing support and responsibilities. The text is organized from the basic to the complex in terms of understanding the aged and their needs. Extensive current references, nursing care plans, case studies, student activities, research questions, resources, and appendixes are included in each chapter.
* Focuses on health and wellness to establish a positive perspective to aging.
• Discusses disease processes in the context of healthy adaptation, nursing support and responsibilities to help the reader gain an understanding of their client's experience.
• Integrates considerations for age, cultural, and gender differences throughout to help the nurse understand these important aspects of caring for older adults.
• Provides a consistent chapter organization including objectives, nursing care plans, research questions, and study questions/activities to make information easy to find and use.
• Includes case studies at end of every chapter to expand student knowledge and understanding.
• Features a separate chapter on laboratory values including comparisons and implications for the aged.
• Integrates federal guidelines for Healthy People 2000 that reflect current practice about healthy aging considerations.
• Includes appendices and resource lists to assist the student in further exploration of material.
- Mosby, Incorporated
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.73(w) x 11.33(h) x 1.52(d)
- Age Range:
- 18 Years
Table of Contents
|Ch. 1||Aging Today||1|
|Ch. 2||Theories of Aging||30|
|Ch. 3||Health and Wellness||62|
|Ch. 4||Age-Related Changes||85|
|Ch. 5||Laboratory Values and Implications for the Aged||133|
|Ch. 6||Managing Basic Physiologic Needs||156|
|Ch. 7||Biologic Maintenance Needs||220|
|Ch. 8||Common Chronic Problems and Their Management||255|
|Ch. 9||Pain and Comfort||329|
|Ch. 10||Pharmacology and Drug Use||352|
|Ch. 12||Maximizing Sensory Function||438|
|Ch. 13||Environmental Safety and Security||476|
|Ch. 14||Health Care, Economic, and Legal Concerns of the Aged||516|
|Ch. 15||Frailty, Vulnerability, and Neglect||551|
|Ch. 16||Intimacy, Sexuality, and Aging||583|
|Ch. 17||Relationships and Their Significance||606|
|Ch. 18||Isolation, Loneliness, Alienation, and Stigmatization||640|
|Ch. 19||Crisis and Stress Management||676|
|Ch. 20||Transitions and Role Changes||703|
|Ch. 21||Mental Health and Mental Disorders||742|
|Ch. 22||Cognition: Function and Dysfunction in Old Age||792|
|Ch. 23||Psychotropic Drug Management||832|
|Ch. 24||Gender, Cohort, and Culture||867|
|Ch. 25||Actualizing the Self||900|
|Ch. 26||Death, Dying, and Grief||939|
|Ch. 27||Transcendence, Spirituality, and Legacies||985|
|Ch. 28||The Professionalization of Gerontic Nursing||1017|
|App. A||NANDA-Approved Nursing Diagnoses: 1997-1998||1056|
|App. B||Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Centers (GRECCs)||1058|
|App. C||Resources on Aging||1060|
|App. D||Resources on the Internet||1067|
|App. E||Journals on Aging||1071|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >