Toward Healthy Aging: Human Needs & Nursing Response / Edition 6by Priscilla Ebersole, Patricia Hess, Ann Schmidt Luggen
Pub. Date: 10/22/2003
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Toward Healthy Aging is a definitive, comprehensive source for health promotion and health maintenance in gerontologic nursing education. Noted for its use of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, this resource and its author team have been praised for the text's wellness-based and holistic approach; comprehensive coverage of common, as well as not-so-common, conditions in
Toward Healthy Aging is a definitive, comprehensive source for health promotion and health maintenance in gerontologic nursing education. Noted for its use of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, this resource and its author team have been praised for the text's wellness-based and holistic approach; comprehensive coverage of common, as well as not-so-common, conditions in the older adult; accuracy of content; and pedagogic aids that promote student understanding. This popular resource provides a solid understanding of how to effectively provide holistic care, promote healthy lives, and address end-of-life issues and concerns. Instructor resources are available; please contact your Elsevier sales representative for details.
• Focus on health and wellness establishes a positive perspective to aging.
• Unique! Disease processes are discussed in the context of healthy adaptation, nursing support, and responsibilities to help the reader gain an understanding of a client's experience.
• Careful attention to age, cultural, and gender differences are integrated throughout to help nurses understand these important considerations in caring for older adults.
• Each chapter provides a consistent organization including objectives, case studies, research, and study questions/activities to make information easy to find and use.
• Assessment guidelines are incorporated throughout as tables, boxes, and forms to provide useful tools for practice.
• Case studies at the end of each chapter provide realistic situations to expand knowledge and understanding.
• Appendices and resource lists assist the reader in further exploration of material.
• Up-to-date content on AIDS provides the reader with important information related to this growing concern among older adults.
• Correlates with federal guidelines or Healthy People 2010 to help students integrate knowledge about healthy aging considerations.
• Unique! Wellness Diagnosis pyramids, based on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, help readers determine which diagnoses to consider when planning care for the older adult.
• Places greater emphasis on the needs of caregivers working with older adults in the home and community settings.
• Expands content on pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic pain management.
• Expands content on end-of-life issues and concerns for both the older adult and family/caregiver. The previous edition of Toward Healthy Aging won a national award from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for its coverage of this important topic.
• Incorporates new healthy aging strategies to maximize the healthiest behaviors of clients with dementia and their caregivers.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.76(w) x 11.36(h) x 1.32(d)
Table of Contents
Part One: Foundations of Healthy Aging
1. Geriatric Nursing and an Aging Society
2. Theories of Aging
3. Health and Wellness
4. Age-Related Changes
5. Laboratory Values and Diagnostics
Part Two: Basic Biologic Needs
6. Basic Physiologic Needs
7. Biologic Maintenance Needs
8. Common Chronic Problems
9. Pain and Comfort
11. Herbs and Supplements NEW!
12. Sensory Function
Part Three: Safety and Security Needs
14. Environmental Safety and Security
15. Economic, Health Care, and Legal Issues
16. Frailty, Vulnerability, Neglect, and Abuse
Part Four: The Need to Belong
17. Intimacy, Sexuality, and Aging
18. Relationships, Roles, and Transitions
Part Five: Self-Esteem
19. Gender and Culture
20. Rural Aging NEW!
22. Stress and Crisis
23. Mental Wellness and Disturbances
Part Six: Self-Actualization
24. End-of-Life Issues NEW!
25. Self-Actualization, Spirituality, and Transcendence
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >