Toward Healthy Aging: Human Needs and Nursing Response / Edition 3by Priscilla Ebersole
As the most comprehensive resource on health promotion and maintenance for older adults and their families and caregivers, Toward Healthy Aging, 7th Edition includes the most current information you need to provide effective holistic care, promote healthy lifestyle choices, and address end-of-life issues. Grounded in the core competencies recommended by the AACN in… See more details below
As the most comprehensive resource on health promotion and maintenance for older adults and their families and caregivers, Toward Healthy Aging, 7th Edition includes the most current information you need to provide effective holistic care, promote healthy lifestyle choices, and address end-of-life issues. Grounded in the core competencies recommended by the AACN in collaboration with the Hartfound Institute for Geriatric Nursing and using Maslow's hierarchy of needs, this book includes complete coverage of both common and uncommon conditions in the older adult. Towards Healthy Aging also highlights key aging issues with sections devoted to basic physiologic needs, safety and security, the need to belong, self-esteem, and self-actualization.
- A strong focus on health and wellness emphasizes a positive approach to aging.
- Disease processes are discussed in the context of healthy adaptation, nursing support, and responsibilities.
- Careful attention to age, cultural, and gender differences are integrated throughout to help you remember these important considerations when caring for older adults.
- Up-to-date content on AIDS provides important information on addressing this growing concern among older adults.
- Consistent chapter is organization with objectives, case studies, critical thinking questions, research, and study questions make information easy to find and use.
- Assessment guidelines are incorporated throughout in helpful tables, boxes, and forms for quick access.
- Case studies at the end of most chapters explore realistic patient care scenarios to help you expand your knowledge and understanding.
- Resource lists and appendices provide opportunities for further research and study.
- With over 200 illustrations, the full-color design is engaging and easy to read.
- Healthy People 2010 boxes address healthy aging considerations.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes help you incorporate the latest research findings into practice and advise you on how to avoid potentially harmful practices.
- A Nutritional Needs chapter includes the most current nutritional guidelines for older adults to help you better address patients' nutritional needs.
- Includes the latest scales and guidelines for assessing the gerontologic patient in the Health Assessment in Gerontological Nursing chapter.
- Expanded coverage of end-of-life issues helps you meet the needs of older adults and their families and caregivers during this difficult transition.
- Economics of aging discussions help you better understand the financial challenges your patients may face.
- The latest pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic pain management information helps you reduce pain and discomfort for your patients and helps you provide more effective care.
- Mosby, Incorporated
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- 3rd ed
- Age Range:
- 18 Years
Table of Contents
|Ch. 1||Aging Today||1|
|Ch. 2||Theories of Aging||30|
|Ch. 3||Health and Wellness||62|
|Ch. 4||Age-Related Changes||85|
|Ch. 5||Laboratory Values and Implications for the Aged||133|
|Ch. 6||Managing Basic Physiologic Needs||156|
|Ch. 7||Biologic Maintenance Needs||220|
|Ch. 8||Common Chronic Problems and Their Management||255|
|Ch. 9||Pain and Comfort||329|
|Ch. 10||Pharmacology and Drug Use||352|
|Ch. 12||Maximizing Sensory Function||438|
|Ch. 13||Environmental Safety and Security||476|
|Ch. 14||Health Care, Economic, and Legal Concerns of the Aged||516|
|Ch. 15||Frailty, Vulnerability, and Neglect||551|
|Ch. 16||Intimacy, Sexuality, and Aging||583|
|Ch. 17||Relationships and Their Significance||606|
|Ch. 18||Isolation, Loneliness, Alienation, and Stigmatization||640|
|Ch. 19||Crisis and Stress Management||676|
|Ch. 20||Transitions and Role Changes||703|
|Ch. 21||Mental Health and Mental Disorders||742|
|Ch. 22||Cognition: Function and Dysfunction in Old Age||792|
|Ch. 23||Psychotropic Drug Management||832|
|Ch. 24||Gender, Cohort, and Culture||867|
|Ch. 25||Actualizing the Self||900|
|Ch. 26||Death, Dying, and Grief||939|
|Ch. 27||Transcendence, Spirituality, and Legacies||985|
|Ch. 28||The Professionalization of Gerontic Nursing||1017|
|App. A||NANDA-Approved Nursing Diagnoses: 1997-1998||1056|
|App. B||Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Centers (GRECCs)||1058|
|App. C||Resources on Aging||1060|
|App. D||Resources on the Internet||1067|
|App. E||Journals on Aging||1071|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >