How is it that so many traders and investors lose money in the market, while others—like authors Gil Morales and Chris Kacher—have shown the ability to earn huge returns on investment? As Bill O'Neil himself says, "Human nature being what it is, 90% of the people in the stock market—professionals and amateurs alike—simply haven't done enough homework." Trade Like an O'Neil Disciple: How We Made 18,000% in the Stock Market is your homework. And if you invest in the market, you can expect that there will be a test involving your own money.
The result of years of observation and the subsequent application of the commonsense rules learned, Trade Like an O'Neil Disciple details the small realities that make up the stock market, including:
- The importance of a 6–7% automatic stop-loss policy on stock purchases
- Sit tight and be right, or "take your profits slowly"
- The value of psychological capital, and how mastering your own psychology allows you to operate from a position of strength
- Position concentration, and how diversification—"kissing all the babies"—is unnecessary
- How timing the market is possible and necessary, despite claims to the contrary by those who can't
- Mistakes novices or lazy investors make, such as averaging down or purchasing only cheap stocks
- How O'Neil applied historical precedent to box theory to come up with consolidation patterns ("bases"), such as: ascending; cup-with-handle; double-bottom; square box; flat base; and high, tight flag
- Using early buy points in the form of "pocket pivots" to gain an advantage in difficult market environments
- Using gap ups as buy points to jump on board of some of the most powerful stocks
- The finer points of O'Neil-style short-selling techniques
It took years to identify, analyze, catalog, and verify the characteristics of winning stocks for O'Neil to finally perfect his system. Authors Gil Morales and Chris Kacher save you the time and—if you're an investor, money—by bringing together in one comprehensive guide, the commonsense investment philosophies that allow them and you to Trade Like an O'Neil Disciple.