Transcultural Nursing: Assessment & Intervention / Edition 4by Joyce Newman Giger, Elaine Davidhizar, Ruth Elaine Davidhizar
This unique resource addresses specific assessment and intervention strategies needed for clients from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Part 1 provides a systematic model of nursing assessment and intervention which takes into account six cultural phenomena: communication, space, social organization, time, environmental control, and biological variations. In… See more details below
This unique resource addresses specific assessment and intervention strategies needed for clients from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Part 1 provides a systematic model of nursing assessment and intervention which takes into account six cultural phenomena: communication, space, social organization, time, environmental control, and biological variations. In Part 2 these six cultural phenomena are systematically applied to the assessment and care of individuals in specific cultures. Since the first edition this book has been praised as a quick reference, user-friendly assessment tool for use with clients in diverse clinical settings.
• Features Giger and Davidhizar's Transcultural Assessment Model, with a full chapter devoted to each of the six aspects of cultural assessment, to help the reader apply this model to any client of any culture.
• Presents critical thinking questions at the end of each chapter to help students apply the assessment framework in practice.
• Includes an expansion of the spiritual component throughout, with an emphasis on various religions.
• Offers clarification of some of the biological variations for select cultural groups.
• A holistic overview of genetics helps readers understand genetics and genetic based diseases that are cultural, racially, and ethnic based.
• New chapter on Afghan Americans provides timely and culturally sensitive content on this important Middle Eastern culture.
• Updated throughout with an emphasis on including new genetic and biologic variations.
• New appendix includes a competency test with more than 70 comprehensive multiple-choice questions.
• Features a new chapter on Puerto Ricans.
• Includes a dedicated website that provides a wealth of WebLinks to various cultural topics, as well as additional chapters on cultures not included in the book, such as: Cubans, Nigerians, Ugandans, Old-Order Amish, Irish, and Jordanians.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.30(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
PART ONE: Framework for Cultural Assessment
1. Introduction to Transcultural Nursing
4. Social Organization
6. Environmental Control
7. Biological Variations
PART TWO: Application of Assessment and Intervention Techniques to Specific Cultural Groups
8. African Americans
9. Mexican Americans
12. American Eskimos
13. Japanese Americans
NEW! 14. Afghan Americans
15. Russian Americans
16. Chinese Americans
17. Filipino Americans
18. Vietnamese Americans
19. East Indian Hindu Americans
20. Haitian Americans
21. Jewish Americans
22. Korean Americans
23. French Canadians of Quebec Origin
NEW! 24. Puerto Rican Americans
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >