Treasures of the Bodleianby Toura
Shakespeares First Folio, telegrams from the sinking Titanic, the Elements of Euclid and manuscripts in Jane Austens own hand: this app supports the Treasures of the Bodleian exhibition and brings together some of the rarest, most important and most evocative objects in the world, from ancient papyri through medieval oriental manuscripts to twentieth-century… See more details below
Shakespeares First Folio, telegrams from the sinking Titanic, the Elements of Euclid and manuscripts in Jane Austens own hand: this app supports the Treasures of the Bodleian exhibition and brings together some of the rarest, most important and most evocative objects in the world, from ancient papyri through medieval oriental manuscripts to twentieth-century printed books and ephemera. Explore in high resolution through themes including the classical heritage; maps and boundaries; the sacred word; the animal and plant kingdoms; literature and music; the sciences of observation and calculation; and moments in history.
Treasures of the Bodleian also asks the question what is a treasure in the twenty-first century? and encourages users of the app to join in with the debate and to help the Bodleian to plan for the opening of a new exhibition gallery in 2015.
- Concise commentary from the curator of the exhibition and short video talks on a selection of objects by experts from around the University of Oxford
- Podcasts of music and readings from a number of manuscripts in both the original language and English
- Access to a number of additional treasures that are not on display in the exhibition room
- Hand-written drafts from literary greats such as Mary Shelley, Gerard Manley Hopkins, Wilfred Owen and Jane Austen
- Documents capturing key moments in history from Magna Carta to the campaign for womens suffrage
- Manuscripts of religious significance including an early Quran, the Gutenberg Bible, the Kennicott Bible and Buddhist canonical texts
- Key works from some of greatest names in scientific history, including Hookes Micrographia and Isaac Newtons Principia
- A detailed glimpse of the natural world through the stunning illustrations in Flora Graeca and Audubons Birds of America
Treasures of the Bodleian is the second in a series of apps from the Bodleian Libraries of the University of Oxford.
Scanned by AVG.
- BN ID:
- Publication date:
- NOOKapps Series
- Version name:
- NOOK App
- File size:
- 41 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
- Sales rank:
- Please contact the developer directly if you would like to report a problem:
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >