Treating Adolescents / Edition 1by Hans Steiner
When children enter adolescence they experience rapid and complex changes in their biology, psychology, and social standing. Seemingly overnight, teenagers can manifest dramatic new syndromes as old ones persist in ever-evolving shapes and forms. Understandably, clinical treatment of this age group is a dynamic and challenging adventure. Treating Adolescents… See more details below
When children enter adolescence they experience rapid and complex changes in their biology, psychology, and social standing. Seemingly overnight, teenagers can manifest dramatic new syndromes as old ones persist in ever-evolving shapes and forms. Understandably, clinical treatment of this age group is a dynamic and challenging adventure. Treating Adolescents presents a concise up-to-date summary of adolescent development and step-by-step guidance for the effective clinical treatment of specific issuessuch as anxiety disorders, depression, eating disorders, somatization, conduct disorders, and psychosis. Written by experts in the treatment of adolescents, each of the contributors offers a blend of cutting-edge knowledge and clinical techniques in the area of their particular sub-specialty. The volume is a jargon-free resource for front-line clinicians including psychologists, social workers, teachers, counselors, and pediatricians. Treating Adolescence offers a wealth of examples and specific suggestions to improve treatment skills, including information on:
- Creating a team-based approach that includes parents, teachers, social workers, pediatricians, and the mental health team.
- Dealing effectively with issues such as identity, suicide, and risk taking.
- Accessing when it is appropriate to adopt a parental role and how to quickly step-back into the role of professional.
- Recognizing the specific syndromes as they occur in the course of adolescent development.
- Responding to alcohol and drug addiction in this vulnerable population group.
- Structuring a treatment plan that is appropriate to adolescence.
- Publication date:
- The Jossey-Bass Library of Current Clinical Technique
- Edition description:
- 1st ed
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 5.98(w) x 9.06(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
1. General Principles and Special Problems( Hans Steiner, S. Shirley Feldman).
2. Disruptive Behavioral Disorders(James Lock).
3. Substance Use and Abuse( Rebecca A. Powers, Robert Matano).
4. Depression(James Lock).
5. Anxiety Disorders(Chris Hayward, Julie A. Collier).
6. Eating Disorders(Mary J. Sanders).
7. Chronic Illness and Somatization(Julie A. Collier).
8. Schizophrenia and Psychotic Disorders( Margo Thienenmann, Richard J. Shaw).
9. Psychiatric Trauma and Related Psychopathologies(Hans Steiner, Zakee Matthews).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >