Treating Substance Abuse: Theory and Technique / Edition 1by Frederick Rotgers
Pub. Date: 11/17/1995
Publisher: Guilford Publications, Inc.
An ideal clinical resource, this volume features comprehensive yet concise descriptions of the five most prominent theories of substance abuse treatment alongside accessible, companion chapters on how to translate each theory into actual clinical practice. Written by noted theoreticians and practitioners, many of whom are also actively involved in clinical… See more details below
An ideal clinical resource, this volume features comprehensive yet concise descriptions of the five most prominent theories of substance abuse treatment alongside accessible, companion chapters on how to translate each theory into actual clinical practice. Written by noted theoreticians and practitioners, many of whom are also actively involved in clinical research on the addictions, the book also includes a chapter on emerging pharmacological approaches, making it a singularly complete reference on the treatment of substance abuse.
The five theoretical approaches presented are:
For each, a complementary clinical chapter liberally utilizes case examples that bring the issues to life. In addition, the chapter on pharmacological treatments includes information on how they might best be integrated with the psychosocial approaches described.
An ideal classroom text for providing students with both a broad overview of the field and concrete instruction on clinical practice, Treating Substance Abuse will be valued by advanced undergraduate students in courses on addictions and their treatment; by graduate students in clinical psychology, social work, and medicine; and by substance abuse counselors in training. Treatment professionals will find it serves as a quick and easy reference to state-of-the-art substance abuse treatment as it is conceptualized and practiced in the United States today.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Rotgers, Keller, and Morgenstern
1. Theory of 12-Step-Oriented Treatment, Wallace
2. Facilitating 12-Step Recovery from Substance Abuse and Addiction,
3. Psychoanalytic Theories of Substance Abuse, Leeds and Morgenstern
4. Exploration in the Service of Relapse Prevention: A Psychoanalytic
Contribution to Substance Abuse Treatment, Keller
5. Theoretical Bases of Family Approaches to Substance Abuse Treatment, McCrady and Epstein
6. Family Therapy Techniques, McKay
7. Behavioral Theory of Substance Abuse Treatment: Bringing Science to Bear on Practice, Rotgers
8. Behavioral Treatment Techniques for Psychoactive Substance Use Disorders, Morgan
9. Motivation and Addictive Behaviors: Theoretical Perspectives, Saunders, Wilkinson, and Towers
10. Motivational Interviewing in Practice: A Structured Approach, Bell and Rollnick
11. Integrating Psychotherapy and Pharmacotherapy in Substance Abuse
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >