Ubuntu Linuxthe most popular Linux distribution on the planetpreserves the spirit embodied in the ancient African word ubuntu, which means both "humanity to others" and "I am what I am because of who we all are." Ubuntu won the Linux Journal Reader's Choice Award for best Linux distribution and is consistently the top-ranked Linux variant on DistroWatch.com. The reason this distribution is so widely popular is that Ubuntu is designed to be useful, usable, customizable, and always available for free worldwide.
Ubuntu Hacks is your one-stop source for all of the community knowledge you need to get the most out of Ubuntu: a collection of 100 tips and tools to help new and experienced Linux users install, configure, and customize Ubuntu. With this set of hacks, you can get Ubuntu Linux working exactly the way you need it to. Learn how to:
- Install and test-drive Ubuntu Linux.
- Keep your system running smoothly
- Turn Ubuntu into a multimedia powerhouse: rip and burn discs, watch videos, listen to music, and more
- Take Ubuntu on the road with Wi-Fi wireless networking, Bluetooth, etc.
- Hook up multiple displays and enable your video card's 3-D acceleration
- Run Ubuntu with virtualization technology such as Xen and VMware
- Tighten your system's security
- Set up an Ubuntu-powered server
Ubuntu Hacks will not only show you how to get everything working just right, you will also have a great time doing it as you explore the powerful features lurking within Ubuntu.
"Put in a nutshell, this book is a collection of around 100 tips and tricks which the authors choose to call hacks, which explain how to accomplish various tasks in Ubuntu Linux. The so called hacks range from down right ordinary to the other end of the spectrum of doing specialised things...More over, each and every tip in this book has been tested by the authors on the latest version of Ubuntu (Dapper Drake) and is guaranteed to work. In writing this book, it is clear that the authors have put in a lot of hard work in covering all facets of configuring this popular Linux distribution which makes this book a worth while buy."
Ravi Kumar, Slashdot.org