- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
A definitive guide to the dynamics of child abuseWritten by two of the country's most renowned authorities on the problems of youth, this classic book provides a thorough understanding of child abuse by tracing its development from infancy through childhood to adolescence. Going to the very heart of the problem, the authors also present a prescription to remedy the vicious cycle of abuse, warning that we must bring about fundamental changes in the basic cultural, social, and economic attitudes that allow children to be physically and psychologically harmed.
Covers patterns of incidence & prevalence, psychological & sexual maltreatment, child abuse in foster care families.
Part One: An Introduction to Basic Concepts .
1. The Meaning of Maltreatment (James Garbarino, John Eckenrode).
2. The Scope and History of Child Abuse and Neglect (Frank Barry, Patrick Collins).
3. The Community Context of Child Abuse and Neglect (James Garbarino, Frank Barry).
4. Disturbances in Relationships: Parenting, Family Development, and Child Maltreatment (Kerry Bolger, Marney Thomas, John Eckenrode).
Part Two: Special Issues.
5. The Elusive Crime of Psychological Maltreatment (James Garbarino, John Eckenrode, Kerry Bolger).
6. Family Sexual Abuse (Marney Thomas, John Eckenrode, James Garbarino).
7. Child Maltreatment in Loco Parentis (Michael Nunno, Martha Holden, Brian Leidy).
Part Three: Adolescent Maltreatment.
8. The Maltreatment of Youth (James Garbarino, John Eckenrode, Jane Levine Powers).
9. Youth in Trouble Are Youth Who Have Been Hurt (John Eckenrode, Jane Levine Powers, James Garbarino).
10. In Conclusion: Family Life Development and Child Protection (James Garbarino, John Eckenrode).