Understanding and Managing Public Organizations / Edition 3by Hal G. Rainey
Pub. Date: 07/11/2003
In the third edition of his award-winning book, Hal G. Rainey provides a comprehensive, up-to-date analysis of research on public organizations and management. Drawing on a review of the most current research about government organizations and managersand about effective and ineffective practices in governmentthis important resource offers specific… See more details below
In the third edition of his award-winning book, Hal G. Rainey provides a comprehensive, up-to-date analysis of research on public organizations and management. Drawing on a review of the most current research about government organizations and managersand about effective and ineffective practices in governmentthis important resource offers specific suggestions for managing these challenges in today’s public organizations. Using illustrative, real-life vignettes and examples, the book provides expert analysis of organizational design, goals, power, effectiveness, leadership, motivation and work attitudes, decision making, and more.
Praise for the Prior Editions
Best Book Award, Public and Nonprofit Sectors Division of the Academy of Management
"A masterful textbook, as well as an important and original contribution to the public organization theory literature. Rainey’s book is the only one available that is both comprehensive in its treatment of organization theory and decidedly ‘public’ in its perspective . . . the book is not simply appropriate for courses on public management and organization theory, it is the best book available."
Public Administration Review
"Comprehensive, coherent, and exceptionally thorough . . . a masterful work."
Public Productivity and Management Review
"This book is outstanding and the best single-source book available for the topics it addresses. I assign it to my Human Resources Management and Organization Theory seminars, and I ensure that all my doctoral students read it for comprehensive exams."
Patricia W. Ingraham, Distinguished Professor of Public Administration, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University
"Over the past decade, there have been only a few books that can be used in graduate courses on public organizations. Rainey’s book is far and away the best of these books. I know of no other book that manages to provide really serious coverage of the scholarly literature and at the same time provide practical lessons for public managers. It is the best out there."
Barton Wechsler, professor and director, Truman School of Public Affairs, The University of Missouri
"A tremendous contribution to the field. Rainey’s ability to synthesize huge research streams from a variety of fields such as political science, public administration, public management, public policy, business administration, management, psychology, sociology, and others is outstanding."
Jeffrey L. Brudney, professor of public administration and codirector of the Institute for Nonprofit Organizations, The University of Georgia
Table of Contents
Tables, Figures, and Exhibits.
PART ONE: THE DYNAMIC CONTEXT OF PUBLIC ORGANIZATIONS.
1. The Challenge of Effective Public Organization and Management.
2. Understanding the Study of Organizations: A Historical Review.
3. What Makes Public Organizations Distinctive.
4. Analyzing the Environment of Public Organizations.
5. The Impact of Political Power and Public Policy.
PART TWO: KEY DIMENSIONS OF ORGANIZING AND MANAGING.
6. Organizational Goals and Effectiveness.
7. Formulating and Achieving Purpose: Power, Strategy, and Decision Making.
8. Organizational Structure, Design, Technology, and Information Technology.
9. Understanding People in Public Organizations: Values and Motives.
10. Understanding People in Public Organizations: Theories of Work Motivation and Work-Related Attitudes.
11. Leadership, Managerial Roles, and Organizational Culture.
12. Teamwork: Understanding Communication and Conflict in and Among Groups.
PART THREE: STRATEGIES FOR MANAGING AND IMPROVING PUBLIC ORGANIZATIONS.
13. Managing Organizational Change and Development.
14. Advancing Effective Management in the Public Sector.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >