Understanding Emotions / Edition 2by Keith Oatley
Pub. Date: 03/14/2006
Keith Oatley and Jennifer M. Jenkins’s best-selling book on the psychology of emotions is the most highly regarded and engaging text for the emotions course. While retaining its interdisciplinary breadth, historical insights, and engaging format, this new edition adds the expertise of outstanding researcher and dedicated teacher Dacher Keltner. The second… See more details below
Keith Oatley and Jennifer M. Jenkins’s best-selling book on the psychology of emotions is the most highly regarded and engaging text for the emotions course. While retaining its interdisciplinary breadth, historical insights, and engaging format, this new edition adds the expertise of outstanding researcher and dedicated teacher Dacher Keltner. The second edition has been thoroughly updated to reflect the latest research and developments in emotions and includes the following features:
- Cohesive synthesis of evolutionary and cultural approaches to emotion
- New chapters on communication of emotion, bodily changes, and appraisal
- Increased emphasis on interpersonal implications of emotions, including studies of newly discovered expressions and systems of communication
- New coverage on moral judgment, individual differences, gene-environment interactions, and positive emotions
- New coverage of subjective well-being and pro-social emotions like gratitude and compassion
- Updated references throughout reflect current research and data, including research on affective neuroscience
- A new design and pedagogical features include new integrated boxes that depict historical landmarks and historical figures, updated tables, boldfaced terms, and end-of-chapter summaries.
An Instructor’s Manual with lecture notes and teaching tips is available upon request. Please visit www.blackwellpublishing.com/oatley.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 1.19(w) x 10.00(h) x 7.00(d)
Table of Contents
Part I: Perspectives on Emotion:.
1. Approaches to Understanding Emotions.
2. Evolution of Emotions.
3. Cultural Understandings of Emotions.
Part II: Elements of emotion:.
4. The Communication of Emotion.
5. Bodily Changes and Emotion.
6. Brain Mechanisms of Emotion.
7. Appraisal, Knowledge, and Experience.
Part III: Emotions and Social Life:.
8. Development of Emotions in Childhood.
9. Emotions in Social Relationships.
10. Emotion and Cognition.
Part IV: Emotions and the Individual:.
11. Individual Differences and Personality.
12. Emotion and Mental Health in Childhood.
13. Emotions and Mental Health in Adulthood.
14. Psychotherapy, Consciousness, and Well-being.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >