Understanding Pathophysiology / Edition 3by Sue E. Huether, Kathryn L. McCance, Kathryn L. McCance
Understanding Pathophysiology provides students with the basic concepts of pathophysiology and explains the processes of specific diseases in an easy-to-read, consistent format. The most current information on the mechanisms, manifestations, and treatments of disease are clearly and concisely presented. Accessible writing, numerous illustrations in full-color, and… See more details below
Understanding Pathophysiology provides students with the basic concepts of pathophysiology and explains the processes of specific diseases in an easy-to-read, consistent format. The most current information on the mechanisms, manifestations, and treatments of disease are clearly and concisely presented. Accessible writing, numerous illustrations in full-color, and complete and separate treatment of pediatric pathophysiology are the hallmarks of this popular and respected text. The new third edition features extensively revised and updated content and an enhanced art program.
The book is divided into two parts. Part One presents the general principles of pathophysiology, including cell injury and repair; genetics; fluids and electrolytes, acids and bases; immunity, inflammation, and infection; stress; and cancer. Part Two is organized by body system, and for each system it covers normal anatomy and physiology, alterations of function in adults, and alterations of function in children.
- Complete but concise coverage provides a thorough discussion of general pathophysiology and specific disease processes.
- Outstanding full-color art program illustrates normal anatomy and physiology, disease processes, and clinical manifestations of disease.
- Pediatric content is presented in 9 separate chapters to provide thorough coverage of how disease processes specifically affect children.
- Health Alert boxes present brief discussions of new research, diagnostic studies, preventative care, treatments, or other developments related to health or specific diseases.
- Quick Check questions appear at the end of major sections of text and are designed to promote critical thinking. Suggested answers to the questions are found on the CD companion included with the text.
- Risk Factor boxes illustrate how certain risk factors are associated with specific diseases.
- Did You Understand? chapter summaries provide students with a comprehensive review of the major concepts presented in each chapter.
- Aging content is identified with a special icon within the adult chapters.
- Algorithms are used throughout the text to illustrate normal and compensatory physiology and pathophysiology.
- Key terms are boldface in text and listed with page numbers at the end of each chapter for easy reference and chapter review.
- Approximately 250 new full-color drawings have been added.
- An Introduction to Pathophysiology included in the front matter defines pathophysiology - and related terms such as etiology and epidemiology - and explains why it is important.
- Extensive updates, based on the most current research, have been made throughout the book.
- To reflect the latest developments, the Biology of Cancer chapter has been completely rewritten.
- Several chapters, including Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases and Alterations of the Reproductive Systems have been extensively edited.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Book & CD-ROM
- Product dimensions:
- 8.72(w) x 11.16(h) x 1.72(d)
Table of ContentsPart 1: Basic Concepts of Pathophysiology. Unit 1: The Cell. Cellular Biology. Genes and Genetic Diseases. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology. Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases. Unit 2: Mechanisms of Self-Defense. Immunity. Inflammation. Hypersensitivities, Infection, and Immunodeficiencies. Stress and Disease. Unit 3: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer. Biology of Cancer. Tumor Spread and Treatment. Cancer in Children. Part 2: Body Systems and Diseases. Unit 4: The Neurologic System. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System. Pain, Temperature, Sleep, and Sensory Function. Concepts of Neurologic Dysfunction. Alterations of Neurologic Function. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children. Unit 5: The Endocrine System. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation. Unit 6: The Hematologic System. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System. Alterations of Hematologic Function. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children. Unit 7: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems. Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children. Unit 8: The Pulmonary System. Structure and Function of the Pulmonary Systems. Alterations of Pulmonary Function. Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children. Unit 9: The Renal and Urologic Systems. Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children. Unit 10: The Reproductive Systems. Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems. Alterations of the Reproductive Systems Including Sexually Transmitted Infections. Unit 11: The Digestive System. Structure and Function of the Digestive System. Alterations of Digestive Functions. Alterations of Digestive Function in Children. Unit 12: The Musculoskeletal and Integumentary Systems. Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children. Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument. Alterations of the Integument in Children.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >