Understanding Reading Problems: Assessment and Instruction / Edition 5by Jean Wallace Gillet, Charles A. Temple, Charles A. Temple
Pub. Date: 08/04/1999
Featuring classroom-based, teacher-driven approaches to effective reading assessment and remediation, the new edition of this market-leading book provides up-to-date coverage of reading processes, their assessment, and their corrective instruction. The highly popular authors present thorough treatments of reading and writing at every stage of development and… See more details below
Featuring classroom-based, teacher-driven approaches to effective reading assessment and remediation, the new edition of this market-leading book provides up-to-date coverage of reading processes, their assessment, and their corrective instruction. The highly popular authors present thorough treatments of reading and writing at every stage of development and include assessments in their entirety for emergent literacy including concepts about print and the concept of word, and many tests of phonological awareness, developmental spelling, word recognition, fluency, and phonics knowledge.
Among the topics covered are a detailed treatment of Informal Reading Inventories (with examples from the authors’ Developmental Literacy Inventory); Lexiles and guided reading levels; running records; developmental spelling stages; emergent literacy assessments including concepts about print, the concept of word, and phonological awareness; reading and spelling-based tests of phonics knowledge; assessing and teaching students with limited English proficiency; and practical strategies for adapting instruction for special needs students in inclusive classrooms. The Eighth Edition has new chapters on Response to Intervention and on the teaching of culturally and linguistically different students.
The Eighth Edition incorporates these new features:
· A comprehensive inventory for assessing emergent literacy, including several new assessments of phonological awareness (Chapter 3).
· Detailed instruction for administering, scoring, and interpreting an informal reading inventory, plus sample sections of an IRI (Chapter 5 and in the supplements).
· A thorough discussion of Response to intervention (Chapter 2).
· Extensive assessment of the often-neglected topic of narrative comprehension of early readers (Chapter 3).
· New instruments for assessing phonological awareness
· New reading and spelling-based tests of phonics knowledge
· A new instrument for assessing students’ developmental spelling in K through 12 (Chapter 8).
· A new chapter on teaching culturally and linguistically different students (Chapter 9).
· The Eighth Edition is organized by developmental levels, with explanations of reading issues at each level, approaches to assessment, and teaching methods delivered at the point of need.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.46(w) x 10.52(h) x 1.13(d)
Table of Contents
|Ch. 1||Reading and Its Assessment||1|
|Ch. 2||Assessment for Internal Audiences: Ongoing Assessments||55|
|Ch. 3||Assessment for Internal Audiences: Periodic In-Depth Assessments||89|
|Ch. 4||Assessment for Internal Audiences: Portfolio Assessment||134|
|Ch. 5||Assessment for External Audiences: Formal Measures||180|
|Ch. 6||Emergent and Beginning Literacy||203|
|Ch. 7||Assessing and Teaching Developing Readers||264|
|Ch. 8||Mature Readers and Writers||322|
|Ch. 9||Adolescent Students with Reading Problems||357|
|Ch. 10||Strategies for Teaching Reading and Writing to English Language Learners||398|
|Ch. 11||Factors Related to Reading Problems||435|
|App.: Glossary of Assessment Terms||463|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >