The Definitive UNIX Resource--Fully Updated
Get cutting-edge coverage of the newest releases of UNIX--including Solaris 10, all Linux distributions, HP-UX, AIX, and FreeBSD--from this thoroughly revised, one-stop resource for users at all experience levels. Written by UNIX experts with many years of experience starting with Bell Laboratories, UNIX: The Complete Reference, Second Edition provides step-by-step instructions on how to use UNIX and take advantage of its powerful tools and utilities.
Get up-and-running on UNIX quickly, use the command shell and desktop, and access the Internet and e-mail. You'll also learn to administer systems and networks, develop applications, and secure your UNIX environment. Up-to-date chapters on UNIX desktops, Samba, Python, Java Apache, and UNIX Web development are included.
- Install, configure, and maintain UNIX on your PC or workstation
- Work with files, directories, commands, and the UNIX shell
- Create and modify text files using powerful text editors
- Use UNIX desktops, including GNOME, CDE, and KDE, as an end user or system administrator
- Use and manage e-mail, TCP/IP networking, and Internet services
- Protect and maintain the security of your UNIX system and network
- Share devices, printers, and files between Windows and UNIX systems
- Use powerful UNIX tools, including awk, sed, and grep
- Develop your own shell, Python, and Perl scripts, and Java, C, and C++ programs under UNIX
- Set up Apache Web servers and develop browser-independent Web sites and applications