Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way out of the Mormon Church

Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way out of the Mormon Church

4.1 10
by Lynn K. Wilder

View All Available Formats & Editions

From a rare insider’s point of view, Unveiling Grace looks at how Latter-day Saints are “wooing our country” with their religion, lifestyle, and culture. It is also a gripping story of how an entire family, deeply enmeshed in Mormonism, found their way out and what they can tell others about their lives as faithful Mormons.


From a rare insider’s point of view, Unveiling Grace looks at how Latter-day Saints are “wooing our country” with their religion, lifestyle, and culture. It is also a gripping story of how an entire family, deeply enmeshed in Mormonism, found their way out and what they can tell others about their lives as faithful Mormons.

Editorial Reviews

Publishers Weekly
Wilder’s memoir belongs to a new breed of ex-Mormon exposé. It’s not salacious. It’s not full of wild revelations. It’s not even particularly angry, though the former BYU professor and stake relief society president does express regret for the decades she spent as a Mormon. Now an evangelical Christian, she explains that her family’s decision to leave “the Mormon Lord” and embrace a “bigger God” was spurred by the unexpected defection of her most spiritually attuned son. While the tone of the book may represent a fresh direction in Mormon-evangelical relations, as memoirs go this account feels workmanlike, even plodding. It’s overly detailed, about 80 pages too long, and riddled with a surprising lack of narrative tension. The same elements are present in the author’s life at the Mormon beginning and the evangelical end—happy and close family, various miraculous experiences, stable lives, etc.—with the only differences being a move from Utah to Florida and an involvement in music and ministry to persuade the “dear Mormon people” of the truth of the biblical Jesus. (Aug. 20)
Library Journal
Raised in Christian households but not taking religion all that seriously, in their mid-20s, Wilder (special education, Florida Gulf Coast Univ.) and her husband met Mormon missionaries. They converted and became enthusiastic Mormons. Indeed, they were recognized by church authorities and given positions of responsibility. Settled in Utah, Wilder found that several aspects of Mormonism became troubling to her, especially the racism connected to some of its members, historically and more recently. The cognitive dissonance was brought to a head when one of her sons converted to evangelical Christianity while on his Mormon mission. In time, the whole family became evangelical Christians. (That evangelicals are themselves no strangers to racism is not something Wilder considers in this memoir.) She is now happily active in her new religion. Her stance is clear in the very title of her book: Mormonism is something one has to find one's way out of—like most evangelical Christians, she now sees Mormonism as a cult. To find Jesus's grace, she needed to convert. VERDICT Needless to say, it will come as a surprise to Mormon readers that they are not Christian. This is for evangelical readers, who may enjoy a classic conversion story.—David Azzolina, Univ. of Pennsylvania Libs., Philadelphia

Product Details

Publication date:
Sales rank:
Product dimensions:
5.50(w) x 8.40(h) x 1.00(d)
Age Range:
18 Years

Read an Excerpt

Unveiling Grace

By Lynn K. Wilder


Copyright © 2013 Lynn K. Wilder
All rights reserved.
ISBN: 978-0-310-33112-4



I know what happiness is, for I have done good work. —Robert Louis Stevenson

The three of us, dressed up and laughing, raced down the sidewalk and around the corner from our mountain home in Utah to the church building.

"Hurry, we'll be late," Micah called. The organ was playing the prelude for the opening hymn when Katie (fifteen), Micah (eighteen), and I stepped through the foyer, past the couch and the painting of Christ in a red robe, and into the chapel.

My husband, Michael, was sitting behind the podium in his dark suit and tie. He'd been at church since early morning, in meetings related to his responsibilities as one of three members of the bishopric. (This is similar to being an assistant pastor.) I was accustomed to sitting alone with the kids and was proud of Michael for his calling and his commitment to the Mormon Church—also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the LDS Church.

The opening hymn began as we slid into seats in the back. It was fast-and-testimony Sunday, a once-a-month church ser vice. Members fasted for twenty-four hours prior to the ser vice and then filed up to the podium during the ser vice to bear testimony of their love for the Mormon gospel. (Our son Micah hated to be late on these days, because the only seats left were way in the back. He preferred to sit up front, in ready position to bear his testimony.)

Mormon hymns are not all that rousing compared with, say, the gospel songs of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, but most people in the congregation knew this one by heart. We obediently joined in the singing about Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon faith.

Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah! Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer. Blessed to open the last dispensation, Kings will extol him and nations revere.

Great is his glory and endless his priesthood. Ever and ever the keys he will hold. Faithful and true, he will enter his kingdom, Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.

Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven! Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain. Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren; Death cannot conquer the hero again.

When the testimonies began, Micah strode up the long aisle to the front of the plain chapel (we had pews but no cross, windows, or artwork) and up the steps. The bishop gave Mike a you're-doing-a-great-job-as-a-father wink.

Micah leaned down to speak into the microphone.

"I've had a very spiritual week. Every morning this week at 5:00 a.m., my girlfriend and I went to the Mount Timpanogos Temple before school to perform baptisms for the dead. It was so amazing. The Spirit was so strong. Friday night we went to Temple Square to see the movie The Testaments of One Fold and One Shepherd. The Book of Mormon and the Bible are two sticks—two testaments—together in Christ's hand. I couldn't help but cry, because I love my Savior so much." He looked out at the hundreds in the audience. "I want you to know that I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I know that the Father and the Son appeared to him in the Sacred Grove. I know that Heavenly Father chose him to bring forth the Book of Mormon and to restore the true church of Jesus Christ to the earth in these, the latter days. I can't wait to serve a mission and bring others into the fold. I love my family, and I love each of you. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

It was February of 2003, Micah's senior year in high school. He was a year from turning nineteen, when he could follow his two older brothers and serve his long-awaited two-year mission. Micah made this podium pilgrimage monthly to bear witness to the truth of Mormonism. It was something he wanted to do to prepare himself spiritually for his mission. He often wept as he expressed his love for his church and for Christ.

After the seventy-minute church ser vice, several priesthood brethren approached Micah to shake his hand, pound him on the shoulder, and congratulate him for his faith. Katie and I stood by smiling, but we all needed to get moving. We had two more meetings before the three-hour block was over.

Next hour, Mike and I taught the "Strengthening Your Marriage" Sunday school class while the kids went to their Sunday school classes. The third hour, Katie and Micah attended their respective youth organizations—Mia Maids, part of the Young Women organization, and priest's quorum, part of the Young Men organization—of which they both were officers. That hour, Mike presided over the Primary organization (ages birth through eleven), assisting the workers with some rowdy boys. I was a leader in Young Women.

It was another ordinary Sunday.

Missionary Sons

Wilder family life in Utah was a desert whirlwind of Mormon bliss. My husband of thirty years was busy with his church callings and his home-based business. I loved teaching at Brigham Young University (BYU), which is owned and operated by the Mormon Church. And of course there were our children, whom we adored.

Mike and I had had four children within a nine-year period. Along with our two youngest children, Katie and Micah, we had two other sons: Josh was twenty-three and Matt was twenty. The kids seemed grounded in our religion and content with school, friends, and activities. With the two older boys gone on their missions, I had a hard time getting used to the idea that there were only four of us at home.

Entering the house after church, I imagined seeing our oldest son, tall and dark-haired Josh, looking hungry for Sunday dinner. Before his mission, he'd been a student—a social soul majoring in communications—first at Indiana University and then at the University of Utah, located forty-five minutes to the north of us in Salt Lake. At the U of U, he worked as a manager for Rick Majerus' Utes basketball team. Josh completed three years of college before deciding to serve a mission. Because he was older than many missionaries in his mission, he had an advantage. He was called to serve as a branch president (pastor of a very small Mormon congregation). Currently he was in Russia, soon to be transferred to Belarus, nearing the end of his LDS mission. He planned to finish college at the University of Utah when he returned.

Our second son, tall and Nordic Matt, powerful yet kindhearted, was in Denmark preaching the Mormon gospel to the Danes, where he had some opportunity to write and perform sacred music. Before his mission, Matt had completed his freshman year at BYU, located forty-five minutes to the south of us in Provo, and was contemplating a piano performance major. He spent long hours at the piano every day. Soon after he left on his mission, he was accepted by the College of Fine Arts and Communications. When he was back in the country, he planned to return to BYU with both music and academic scholarships.

Since the boys' missions overlapped, Josh and Matt went almost three years without seeing each other; later Matt and Micah went nearly four years. We did not have a family photo with all of us present from September 2001 until April 2006. But we were proud of our Mormon missionary sons. First Josh, then Matt, and soon Micah—all bearing testimony to the truth of our beloved LDS faith. What could be better?

An Exemplary Mormon Youth

Micah is about six feet three inches tall with an easy magnetic smile, and characteristically tilts his head to his left. With his black, curly hair, he could easily grow a 1970s Afro, but he has always kept his hair conservatively short. He has his dad's Roman nose, my dark eyes and serious ways, and a curiosity that asks probing questions.

Never much of an eater, Micah was leaner than his brothers, a quick athlete who enjoyed basketball, soccer, and track. But mostly his interests tended toward his Mormon faith and the band he and friends had formed. He was an exemplary son who caused us little pain, a kind young man who tried his best to do what his parents and our solid Mormon faith expected of him. His faith in the Mormon Church was the center of his life. Ours too.

When Micah was in high school, we lived a mile high in an area of Utah that had the highest percentage of active Mormons in the world. At the time, I was so proud of Micah and the choices he made; just thinking about him made me grin.

This was a typical conversation between Micah and me his senior year:

Me: "Hi. You were up early again."

Micah: "Yeah, Leash [Alicia, his girlfriend] and I went to the temple again to do baptisms for the dead before school. I really like her, Mom. She's strong in the church, like me."

Me: "Alicia's a very spiritual young woman with a good head on her shoulders, Micah. You hungry?"

Micah: "no, I'm good. Mom, do you think when I'm a missionary, I'll convert a lot of people to the church?"

He wanted to be "good" and to do what would please Heavenly Father, as Mormons call him.

Me: "I'm sure you will be a great missionary, Micah. Your heart is in the right place."

Micah: "Is there anything I can do for you, Mom? Do you need me to run to the store or something?"

Now, what mother would not love this?

Me: "Well, you could go pick up Katie from dance lessons."

Micah: "no problem."

And out the door he went. He jumped into his dad's red Mitsubishi 3000GT twin turbo, the one Micah kept spit-shined, and rolled past our manicured lawn, the one he mowed in perfect golf course stripes. Even though the car's engine thundered with 320 horses, Micah always drove a little like an old lady. I liked that about him too.

Micah was eager to convert the corner of the world to which the living Mormon prophet would send him on his mission. He was ready to serve as a representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was exciting for the entire family to imagine where he might go.

Preparing for a Mission

On his eighteenth birthday, a week prior to the ordinary fast-and-testimony Sunday, Micah met with his Mormon bishop (pastor) in our church building, whose parking lot was across the grapevine-laden fence from our home, to design a plan to prepare himself during the ensuing year to be an effective missionary. The plan suggested he get up at 6:00 a.m., read his Mormon scriptures in the early morning, and practice throughout the day doing all the good deeds he had been taught by the Mormon Church and his parents over the years. Micah decided to add to this list that he would bear his testimony once a month every fast-and-testimony Sunday. He executed his plan as faithfully as an eighteen-year-old young man could. All he could think about was his mission. All he talked about was his mission.

After high school graduation, he worked a construction job. Then in the fall of 2003, he began his first semester as a physics major at Brigham Young University. In LDS culture, parents expect their sons to obtain at least a four-year degree after their mission, and Micah intended to follow suit. But he could barely concentrate on his studies. By late October, he had submitted his mission papers.

One morning, about the time Micah got up, the post office called to tell us that the 8 ½ x 11 white envelope with Micah's mission call from the first presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had arrived and that we did not have to wait for the postman to deliver it. The close Mormon community was delightfully friendly. We could pick the envelope up, which we did, before the sun rose.

In front of the gas fireplace in the living room, Michael, Katie, and I pulled up chairs around Micah as he sat alone on the living room couch, wide-eyed, eagerly fingering the envelope. The anticipation was brutal. Open it! The Mormon prophet had heard from Heavenly Father, and Micah's mission call (see the glossary for the Mormon meanings of religious words) was to Mexico City. Wow.

I immediately put his revered call in a picture frame and nailed it to his bedroom wall. Missionary sons in Russia, Denmark, and now Mexico! It was something to be proud of. In Mormon culture, it was whispered that the worthiest missionaries received international assignments.

Before he could serve as a missionary, Micah was required to attend the temple proper for the first time. He'd been attending the basement of the temple since the age of twelve to do baptisms for the dead; now he could finally go upstairs to receive his washings and anointings and his endowment.

In November 2003, the Mount Timpanogos Temple, close to our home, was closed for the annual cleaning, so Micah chose to receive his ordinances in the historic Salt Lake Temple. Since Mike and I held temple recommends (which meant our church leaders deemed us worthy to enter), we showed our recommend cards to the couple standing as sentinels at the entrance, then accompanied our son inside.

First, the men went to the initiatory so Micah could receive his washings and anointings. Both Michael and Micah were washed symbolically with water, anointed with oil, and dressed in the garment of the holy priesthood. Once Micah received his garments, he was given a new name to be used later in the endowment, and the men met me in the hallway. We proceeded to a small chapel to await the endowment ceremony in a room down the hall, where we were instructed, with approximately thirty people, in what we needed to know to live with Heavenly Father in the next life. We entered into six specific covenants and then imitated passing through the veil to enter the Lord's presence at the end of this life. The three of us felt greatly blessed and emotionally weakened by this three-hour experience in the temple.

Soon afterward Micah earned the privilege of becoming the youngest full-time temple worker in the modern age of the Mormon Church. We lived no more than fifteen minutes from the Mount Timpanogos Temple, located at the base of the majestic Timpanogos Mountain, and he wanted to serve as a full-time temple worker in the two months before his mission began. This was unheard of. I admit we were somewhat disappointed he had chosen not to get a paying job to contribute financially toward his mission but instead to work in a Mormon temple gratis, assisting attendees with carrying out the saving ordinances for people who were already dead, a righteous act to convert the dead to Mormonism. But that was Micah. How could we object to such honorable desires to serve the Mormon Lord?

The Torture Room

When the treasured moment—on February 10, 2004—finally arrived, everyone in the family dressed in their Sunday best and accompanied Micah to the Missionary Training Center (MTC) on the campus of BYU. The LDS Church is very organized. We had to park in a certain spot, enter through a certain door, and stay in a certain foyer while Micah checked in and took his luggage down the hall to a designated room. He seemed a bit tense but was raring to go.

Families and future missionaries were ushered into a large convention-like hall—the torture room, my husband called it. This was our third experience in the same room being ripped from a son with whom we would have very limited contact for the next two years. Essentially, we were giving up our parental rights to Micah's mission president. After we all watched a video about being called to serve a mission, heard two brief talks by MTC leaders, and sang a couple of LDS hymns, Micah said his goodbyes to his father and me individually.

He held my shoulders, pierced me with his eyes, and told me he loved me but was excited to begin his mission. I didn't know what to say. He hugged and kissed me one last time, then embraced his cherished younger sister and his dad. Then he turned to exit the door for missionaries, which was opposite the door for families. As he reached the door, he spun and gave us a two-fingered salute. It was more than I could bear. While my husband stood in shock, I bawled silently. We exited the family door in emotional agony. The torture room had lived up to its name once again.

Micah was called to a leadership position in the MTC, his letters to us said. Since he was headed to Mexico City to proselytize, he was scheduled to spend about six weeks at the MTC learning how to teach the basics of the Mormon gospel in Spanish. From his letters home, he sounded exhilarated.

Excerpted from Unveiling Grace by Lynn K. Wilder. Copyright © 2013 Lynn K. Wilder. Excerpted by permission of ZONDERVAN.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.

Customer Reviews

Average Review:

Write a Review

and post it to your social network


Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See all customer reviews >

Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way Out of the Mormon Church 4.1 out of 5 based on 0 ratings. 10 reviews.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
A BYU professor leaving the Mormon faith? A faithful young man leaving Mormonism while he serving his mission? A musical band made up of former Mormon missionaries? All of this might sound outrageous, but in Unveiling Grace, the reader gets a front-row seat on this incredible journey. And it all started when a Florida Baptist pastor told the young man (Micah Wilder, the founder of the band called Adam's Road) to read the Bible like a little child! Indeed, the only word that could describe the Wilders' transformation is miraculous. After all, many individuals regularly leave Mormonism and embrace Christianity; however, for an entire family to leave the religion for the grace of Christ is truly a rare event. For believers who think that their Mormon friends and family members will never be able to see the truth, Unveiling Grace is for you. It is a compelling account filled with hope and power. The story is told through the eyes of Lynn Wilder, who once taught full-time at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University. Perhaps some skeptics within her ward could have used Lynn's full-time employee status as a mark against an otherwise "Molly Mormon" persona, but as she explains, she was practically serving a church calling since the university needed female educators to help BYU fulfill accreditation standards. From what she has written, her (and her family's) faithfulness to the LDS religion was undeniable. Much of what she writes describes the other members of her family. For example, husband Michael held important church callings and was a strong believer, staying in the church far after his wife had left. Their two oldest sons had successful foreign mission experience. Until a health issue got in the way, Micah was supposed to leave for a foreign mission as well; he was later rescheduled for the state of Florida. Who would have known that this was the first step in God's plan that would end up in the redemption of the entire family. Unveiling Grace--which is also the same title as an hour-long video documentary on the band--is sure to keep the reader's interest. For those who are interested in apologetics, Lynn provides documentation for the unique LDS teachings while giving a Christian response. Thus, I think this book will be valuable to those who may not be very knowledgeable about the Mormon religion. It will, I believe, provide a wonderful introduction to the bankrupt version of the gospel offered by Mormonism while introducing the free gift of grace provided by Jesus. By E. Johnson
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Great testimony of God reaching into the lives of a very religious family. The Wilders were extremely dedicated and faithful in their service to the Mormon church when God first led their youngest son on a journey of coming to know the Biblical Gospel. The rest of the family followed along and this book chronicles their amazing, and at times very difficult transition from being Mormon to becoming Bible based Christians. Wilder leaves it all on the table as she intimately shares the struggles her family faced. This book is real, it is raw, and it will leave you in awe of God's amazing love. Definitely a must read.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
I learned a lot about the LDS/Mormon church. As a Christian, this book revealed how different the two groups view God. The legalism within the LDS church is shocking. I didn't feel the book flowed well, but it didn't affect the meat of the story. Wilder included many references, definitions and comparisons that are beneficial, especially if you don't understand the difference in theology between LDS and mainstream Christianity.
Anne_Baxter_Campbell 4 months ago
To say I loved this book would be a wild exaggeration. I did find it really interesting and informative. I have so many beloved relatives and friends who are Mormons that I have to say I also found it disturbing. I'm a gung ho Christian, and I love that people are getting to know that the Lord is waiting patiently for them to come around to His way of thinking--that He alone is "THE way, THE truth, and THE life; no one comes to the Father, but by Me (Jesus)" (John 14:6) I don't think the Mormon religion itself can be classified as Christian, but I'm not to the point of also classifying the people in that category. When a BYU professor and her husband are challenged by their youngest son, Micah, at that time on an LDS mission in Florida, to read the New Testament, they're skeptical. After all, they've been through New Testament classes, and they read the Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price daily. Still, their son wants them to reread the New Testament as a child would. Rumblings occur. Micah is in trouble. He's brought home from his mission a week early. He's called before the Stake President. He goes back to Florida and stays, much to his parents bewilderment and horror. It takes some severe family and church earthquakes to convince Lynn and Michael Wilder, but after soul-searching and study and all four of their children questioning and telling, they finally decided to resign from the Mormon church. It was a gut-wrenching choice, not one they made easily or lived with without regrets. As I said above, you have to make your own decisions about this book, just as the Wilders made their own decisions about leaving the church they'd spent thirty years serving.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Her religious life story is good. But she jumps back and forth too much between the past and present. She should have had some sort of order, and because of this, I think it might be confusing to some. Otherwise, a great story.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Anonymous More than 1 year ago