"Heartbreaking and true...I'd read it again just for the power of the language."
- Dorothy Allison, National Book Award Finalist and author of Bastard Out of Carolina
"Wild and beautiful...The story is told using the epistolary form with brilliant skill not seen since The Color Purple."
- Sapphire, author of Push
"A literary gem. Upstate is a stunning debut. Completely unforgettable."
- E. Lynn Harris, author of What Becomes of the Brokenhearted
"Upstate is intimate, wrenching...a story about love, surviving love, and the forgiveness that only love brings."
- Achy Obejas, author of Memory Mambo and Days of Awe
"A gripping debut...I was thoroughly impressed."
- Mary Monroe, author of God Still Don't Like Ugly
"Kalisha Buckhanon has unleashed brilliance in this debut novel. Upstate is creative, raw, and honest."
- Darnella Ford, author of Rising and Crave
"A modern love story that is real and raw in its humor and tragedy."
- Zelda Lockhart, winner of the Hurston/Wright Award and author of Fifth Born