- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
In clear and concise terms a distinguished list of contributors offer an introduction to the most critical issues in global and urban health. It reviews key themes with illustrative examples and cases, and contains the most current evidence. It links social determinants and urban life in developed and developing countries. It also contains assessment of primary determinants of well-being in cities: social and built environments, diet, and health care and social services. Also covered are topics on history of ...
In clear and concise terms a distinguished list of contributors offer an introduction to the most critical issues in global and urban health. It reviews key themes with illustrative examples and cases, and contains the most current evidence. It links social determinants and urban life in developed and developing countries. It also contains assessment of primary determinants of well-being in cities: social and built environments, diet, and health care and social services. Also covered are topics on history of public health in cities, the impact of urban sprawl and urban renewal, and the common challenges.
The New York Academy of Medicine.
Foreword (Michael R. Bloomberg).
Acknowledgments (David Vlahov).
Introduction (Margaret Chan).
1. Urban Health in a Global Perspective (David Vlahov and Jo Ivey Boufford).
2. Globalization (Ted Schrecker and Ronald Labonté).
3. The Demographics of Urbanization in Poor Countries (Mark R. Montgomery).
4. Migration, Health Systems, and Urbanization (Ndioro Ndiaye, Manuel Carbhallo, and Rougui Ndiaye-Coïc).
5. Immigrant Health in Amsterdam, the Netherlands (Arnoud P. Verhoeff and Roel A. Coutinho).
6. City Case Studies
Global Climate Change and Cities (Tord Kjellstrom and Patricia Monge).
7. Age-Friendly New York City (Ruth Finkelstein and Julie Netherland).
8. Global Infectious Diseases and Urbanization (Thomas C. Quinn and John G. Bartlett).
9. City Case Studies
Confronting the New Epidemics in Our Cities (Stephen Leeder, Angela Beaton, Cathie Hull, Ruth Colagiuri, and Michael Ward).
10. Chronic Disease Care in Nairobi's Urban Informal Settlements (Catherine Kyobutungi and Alex Ezeh).
11. Crime, Violence, Public Health, and Urban Life (Richard H. Schneider).
12. A Global Perspective on Disasters and Their Consequences in the Urban Environment (Maria Steenland, Godfrey Mbaruku, and Sandro Galea).
13. City Case Studies: Urban Terrorism (Robert J. Bunker and Pamela L. Bunker).
14. The Culture of Peace Against Violence in Zagreb (Stipe Oreskovic).
15. Urban Health Services and Health Systems Reform (Julio Frenk and Octavio Gómez-Dantés).
16. City Case Studies: Information Flow and Integrated E-Health Systems (Veronica Olazabal, Ticia Gerber, Beatriz de Faria Leao, Claudio Giulliano da Costa, Karl Brown, and Ariel Pablos-Méndez).
17. Governance for Health in London: Utilizing the Health Impact Assessment (Sue Atkinson).
18. Provision of Water and Sanitation Services (Jonathan Parkinson, Martin Mulenga, and Gordon McGranahan).
19. Urban Transportation (Rae Zimmerman and Carlos E. Restrepo).
20. Informal Settlements: In Search of a Home in the City (Vanessa Watson).
21. Urban Air Quality (Jonathan M. Samet).
22. Urban Planning and Aesthetics (Carola Hein, Kalala Ngalamulume, and Kevin J. Robinson).
23. Healthy Urban Governance (Scott Burris and Danielle Ompad).
24. Global Business at the Local Level (Nicholas Freudenberg).
25. Citizen Action for Urban Poverty Reduction in Low- and Middle-Income Nations (David Satterthwaite).
26. City Case Studies
Healthy Cities: Lessons Learned (Agis Tsouros and Geoff Green).
27. The Healthy City Program in Shanghai (Fu Hua).
28. Urban Health and Governance Model in Belo Horizonte, Brazil (Waleska Teixeira Caiaffa, Ana Luiza Nabuco, Amélia Augusta de Lima Friche, and Fernando Augusto Proietti).
29. Improving Population Health in a Rapidly Urbanizing World (Nicole Volavka-Close and Elliott D. Sclar).
30. Future Directions (Jacob Kumaresan).