User's Guide to the Early Language and Literacy Classroom Observation Tool, Pre-K (Ellco Pre-K) / Edition 1by Miriam W. Smith, Joanne P. Brady, Louisa Anastasopoulos
Pub. Date: 01/01/2008
Publisher: Brookes Publishing
Trusted by schools across the country, ELLCO helps build better literacy programs by assessing the quality of both the classroom environment and teachers'/i>/b>/a>/i>/i>… See more details below
Trusted by schools across the country, ELLCO helps build better literacy programs by assessing the quality of both the classroom environment and teachers' practices. With ELLCO, educators reliably gather the essential data needed for professional development and program improvement that lead to better literacy outcomes for young children. These two NEW editions of ELLCO are even better because they're
- Age-specific. Assessment is effective and accurate with the new ELLCO editions, designed especially for preschool and early elementary environments. ELLCO Pre-K prompts users to look for preliteracy activities like storybook reading, circle time conversations, and child-originated storywriting, while ELLCO K–3 has been reworked to reflect the evolving literacy skills of K–3 students.
- Streamlined. Each new edition of ELLCO has just two parts: a classroom observation to gather critical information about 5 key elements of the literacy environment, and a teacher interview, which supplements the observation with educators' firsthand reflections.
- Easier to administer. Users will get complete information about conducting classroom observations, scoring accurately, and limiting bias. They'll also get helpful descriptors for all 5 levels of the rating scale.
- Informed by user feedback. The new editions of ELLCO were created using feedback from the education professionals who know the tool best.
With these new editions of the assessment tool thousands trust, preschools and elementary schools will have the information they need to determine the effectiveness of their classroom environments, strengthen the quality of their programs and teaching practices, and improve young children's early literacy outcomes.
Measure 5 key literacy elements:
- classroom structure
- the language environment
- books and book reading opportunities
- print and early writing supports
Order with the ELLCO Pre-K Tool and save $10! Use code S1050 when placing your order.
The User's Guide is part of ELLCO, the bestselling classroom observation tool that helps schools assess the quality of literacy practices and supports and give children the best possible start in language and literacy development. Trusted by schools across the country, ELLCO helps educators reliably gather the data needed for professional development and program improvement, leading to better literacy outcomes for young children.
- Brookes Publishing
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.00(w) x 10.00(h) x 0.40(d)
Table of Contents
About the Authors Acknowledgments
- Introduction Organization of the ELLCO Pre-K Underlying Assumptions of the ELLCO Pre-K Who Should Use the ELLCO Pre-K? How Does the ELLCO Pre-K Compare with the ELLCO Toolkit? Contents of the Userâ€™s Guide References
- Effective Elements of Early Literacy: Kendraâ€™s Story Vignette 1: Entering Vignette 2: At the Writing Table Vignette 3: Construction Zone Vignette 4: Circle Time Vignette 5: Lunch Time Vignette 6: Ready to Go Home References
- Structure of the ELLCO Pre-K Overall Structure and Levels Anchor Statements Descriptive Indicators Evidence Section Teacher Interview
- How to Conduct an ELLCO Pre-K Observation Guidelines for Observing in Classrooms Scheduling and Duration of Observations Conducting Observations with Professionalism and Respect Preparing for the Observation Taking Evidence and Rating Items Focusing on the Evidence Rating Strategies Avoiding Bias The Teacher Interview Completing the Score Form
- A Review of Sample Items Recording Evidence Understanding the Rubrics From Evidence to Rubric to Rating Example 1: Item 8â€”Discourse Climate Example 2: Item 16â€”Quality of Book Reading Example 3: Item 17â€”Early Writing Environment
- Using the ELLCO Pre-K for Professional Development Tips for Incorporating the ELLCO Pre-K into Language and Literacy Practices Step 1: Create a Positive Climate for Teacher Development Step 2: Preview the ELLCO Together Step 3: Conduct an Initial Observation Step 4: Share Results Step 5: Generate Goals Beginning Steps Toward Change Section I: Classroom Structure (Organization, Contents, Management, Personnel) Section II: Curriculum (Approaches, Child Choice, Diversity) Section III: The Language Environment (Discourse Climate, Extended Conversations, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness) Section IV: Books (Organization, Characteristics of Books, Books for Learning) Section IV: Book Reading (Approaches, Quality) Section V: Early Writing (Environment, Support, Environmental Print) References
- Using the ELLCO Pre-K in Research Training Practicing and Calibrating Ratings Interrater Reliability Recalibration in the Field References
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >