Varcarolis' Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Clinical Approach / Edition 7by Margaret Jordan Halter
Pub. Date: 09/02/2013
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Using a practical clinical perspective, Varcarolis' Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Clinical Approach, 7th Edition provides a clear understanding of the often-intimidating subject of psychiatric mental health nursing. Clinical chapters follow the nursing process framework and progress from theory to application, preparing you/b>/b>… See more details below
Using a practical clinical perspective, Varcarolis' Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Clinical Approach, 7th Edition provides a clear understanding of the often-intimidating subject of psychiatric mental health nursing. Clinical chapters follow the nursing process framework and progress from theory to application, preparing you for practice with real-world examples. New to this edition are the latest DSM-5 guidelines along with coverage of trauma, pediatric mental health, and QSEN competencies. From new lead author Dr. Margaret Jordan Halter, this comprehensive RN psychiatric nursing text is a bestseller!
• Reader-friendly features reinforce important information and help in applying textbook content to the clinical setting, emphasizing key terms and concepts, key points to remember, critical thinking, and chapter reviews.
• Assessment Guidelines boxes provide specific instructions for diagnosis and treatment.
• Health Policy boxes addresses important Healthy People 2010 issues to increase clinical awareness.
• Considering Culture boxes discuss the importance of cultural considerations in providing competent care to diverse populations in various clinical situations.
• Coverage of NIC and NOC provides the basic understanding of NIC and NOC methods of documenting patient care necessary at the RN level.
• Clinical chapters follow the six-step nursing process, providing consistent guidelines for comprehensive assessment and intervention.
• NEW DSM-5 guidelines from the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders are fully incorporated in the text, and include updated NANDA content.
• NEW coverage of QSEN competencies highlights topics such as safety, communication, and evidence-based practice.
• NEW coverage of trauma, stressor-related, and dissociative disorders discusses how to deal with common reactions the nurse may experience while working with a patient who has suffered trauma.
• NEW content on child and adolescent psychiatric mental health nursing addresses neurodevelopmental disorders in pediatric patients.
• NEW coverage of key topics and emerging nursing trends help you stay current with best practices in the field, including an illness prevention approach to psychiatric disorders and an increased focus on genetics and genomics.
• NEW photos and illustrations depict and clarify key concepts.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.30(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
UNIT ONE: FOUNDATIONS IN THEORY
1. Mental Health and Mental Illness
2. Relevant Theories and Therapies for Nursing Practice
3. Biological Basis for Understanding Psychiatric Disorders and Treatment
UNIT TWO: FOUNDATIONS FOR PRACTICE
4. Settings for Psychiatric Care
5. Cultural Implications for Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
6. Legal and Ethical Guidelines for Safe Practice
UNIT THREE: PSYCHOSOCIAL NURSING TOOLS
7. The Nursing Process and Standards of Care for Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
8. Therapeutic Relationships
9. Communication and the Clinical Interview
10. Understanding and Managing Responses to Stress
UNIT FOUR: PSYCHOBIOLOGICAL DISORDERS
11. Childhood and Neurodevelopmental Disorders
12. Schizophrenia and Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders
13. Bipolar and Related Disorders
14. Depressive Disorders
15. Anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive Related Disorders
16. Trauma, Stressor-Related, and Dissociative Disorders
17. Somatic Symptom Disorders
18. Feeding, Eating, and Elimination Disorders
19. Sleep-Wake Disorders
20. Sexual Dysfunction, Gender Dysphoria, and Paraphilias
21. Impulse Control Disorders
22. Substance Related and Addictive Disorders
23. Neurocognitive Disorders
24. Personality Disorders
UNIT FIVE: TRAUMA INTERVENTIONS
25. Suicide and Non-Suicidal Self-Injury
26. Crisis and Disaster
27. Anger, Aggression, and Violence
28. Child, Older Adult, and Intimate Partner Violence
29. Sexual Assault
UNIT SIX: INTERVENTIONS FOR SPECIAL POPULATIONS
30. Psychosocial Needs of the Older Adult
31. Serious Mental Illness
32. Forensic Psychiatric Nursing
UNIT SEVEN: OTHER INTERVENTION MODALITIES
33. Therapeutic Groups
34. Family Interventions
35. Integrative Care
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Concise . Well referenced. Portable!