Veterinary Immunology: An Introduction / Edition 8by Ian R. Tizard
Since 1977, this outstanding book has been the immunology reference of choice for both veterinary students and practitioners. It’s the only complete resource on the subject, featuring a straightforward presentation of basic immunologic principles with comprehensive information on the most significant immunological diseases and responses seen in domestic… See more details below
Since 1977, this outstanding book has been the immunology reference of choice for both veterinary students and practitioners. It’s the only complete resource on the subject, featuring a straightforward presentation of basic immunologic principles with comprehensive information on the most significant immunological diseases and responses seen in domestic animals. This meticulously updated new edition explores the latest advances in the field and provides a wealth of clinical examples that illustrate and clarify important concepts.
• Clearly explains the general principles of immunology and applied immunology.
• Includes information on the most significant immunological diseases and immunological responses seen in domestic animals.
• Presents coverage of domestic mammal species in phylogenetic order: horse-cattle-sheep-pig-dog-cat-mouse-human.
• Provides clinical examples that demonstrate key immunologic principles.
• Offers expanded and updated references for all key sources in the literature.
• Features a new appendix that provides at-a-glance access to a comprehensive list of cytokines.
• Offers expanded coverage of complement and its critical importance to innate immunity.
• Discusses the latest information on the receptors of NK cells.
• Provides additional content on antibacterial peptides and their importance in inflammation and innate immunity.
• Includes coverage of newly identified cytokines, CD molecules, and IgA receptors.
• Examines new data on the functions of T cells, the effects of nematodes on eosinophils, and the latest DNA vaccines against West Nile virus and canine melanoma.
• Offers complete information on emerging diseases such as Stevens-Johnson syndrome, hemophagocytic syndrome, and autoimmune sarcolemmal disease in dogs, as well as common variable immunodeficiencies and immune mediated polysynovitis in horses.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
1. The Defense of the Body
2. How Inflammation is Triggered
3. Neutrophils and Their Products
4. Macrophages and the Later Stages of Inflammation
5. The Complement System
6. Cell Signaling: Cytokines and Their Receptors
7. Antigens: Triggers of Acquired Immunity
8. Dendritic Cells and Antigen Processing
9. The Major Histocompatibility Complex
10. Organs of the Immune System
12. Helper T Cells and Their Response to Antigen
13. B Cells and Their Response to Antigen
14. Antibodies: Soluble Antigen Receptors
15. How Antigen-Binding Receptors are Made
16. T-Cell Function and the Destruction of Cell-Associated Invaders
17. Regulation of Acquired Immunity
18. Immunity in the Fetus and Newborn
19. Immunity at Body Surfaces
20. Vaccines and Their Production
21. The Use of Vaccines
22. Acquired Immunity to Bacteria and Related Organisms
23. Acquired Immunity to Viruses
24. Acquired Immunity to Parasites
25. Type I Hypersensitivity
26. Red Cell Antigens and Type II Hypersensitivity
27. Immune Complexes and Type III Hypersensitivity
28. Type IV Hypersensitivity: Delayed Hypersensitivity
29. Organ Graft Rejection
30. Resistance to Tumors
31. Autoimmunity: General Principles
32. Organ-Specific Autoimmune Diseases
33. The Systemic Immunological Diseases
34. Primary Immunodeficiencies
35. Secondary Immunological Defects
36. Drugs and Other Agents that Affect the Immune System
37. The Evolution of the Immune System
38. Immunodiagnostic Techniques
Appendix: Annotated List of Selected CD Molecules
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >