- Stabat Mater, hymn for voice, strings & continuo in F minor, RV 621
- Credo, for 2 solo voices, chorus, oboe (ad lib), strings & continuo in G major (spurious, attributed to Hasse), RV 592: Crucifixus etiam pro nobis
- Orlando furioso, opera in 3 acts, RV 728: Aria. Sorge l'irato nembo
- La Fida ninfa, opera in 3 acts, RV 714: Cuartetto. Cosi, su gl'occhi miei?
- Orlando furioso, opera in 3 acts, RV 728: Act 2. Scene 13. Recitativo accompagnato
- Griselda, opera in 3 acts, RV 718: Aria. Brami le mie catene
- La Fida ninfa, opera in 3 acts, RV 714: Trio. S'egli è ver, che la sua rota
- La Fida ninfa, opera in 3 acts, RV 714: Aria. Cervo che al monte
- Griselda, opera in 3 acts, RV 718: Trio. Non più regina
- Orlando furioso, opera in 3 acts, RV 728: Aria. Troppo è fiero
- La Fida ninfa, opera in 3 acts, RV 714: Aria. Aure lievi, che spirate
- Griselda, opera in 3 acts, RV 718
- La Fida ninfa, opera in 3 acts, RV 714: Duetto. Dimmi pastore - Ninfa ti spiega
- Griselda, opera in 3 acts, RV 718: Aria. No, non tanta crudeltà
- La Fida ninfa, opera in 3 acts, RV 714: Aria. Cento donzelle
- Orlando furioso, opera in 3 acts, RV 728: Aria. Nel profondo
Vivaldi!by Marie-Nicole Lemieux
Naïve's Vivaldi! features Canadian contralto Marie-Nicole Lemieux in selections from Vivaldi operas and an excerpted version of his "Stabat Mater, RV 621," limited just to the alto arias. All of this material is drawn from Naïve's standing catalog of Vivaldi recordings with the Ensemble Matheus, to which Lemieux has been a star contributor. Her work in duets with Philippe Jaroussky is duly noted for its resultant and memorable fireworks; some of these moments are included, along with a little bit of her work alongside popular soprano Sandrine Piau. However, this is Lemieux's show. She is a deeply expressive and emotive singer who maintains a consistently lovely, warm-blooded tone and great control of her instrument. Even in recordings cut out of the context of their original projects, the restrained and carefully dynamic playing of Jean-Christophe Spinosi's band Ensemble Matheus retains its integrity throughout the disc. Devotees to Naïve's continuing series of Vivaldi recordings with Spinosi, Lemieux, and others may not need this single disc drawn from releases already offered, but as a single-disc survey highlighting the considerable talents of this singer Naïve's Vivaldi! should provide considerable enjoyment, particularly to those who are not familiar with Lemieux's artistry.
- Release Date:
Performance CreditsMarie-Nicole Lemieux Primary Artist
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
Contralto, Marie-Nicole Lemieux and Ensemble Matheus, under the direction of Jean-Christophe Spinosi, recently released a recording of selections from operas and sacred works by Baroque composer Antonio Vivaldi. It was recorded on the Naive label and is simply titled "Vivaldi". The disc includes arias from Orlando Furioso, Griselda, La fida ninfa, as well as, selections from the Stabat Mater. Ms. Lemieux sings with a bright clear tone that is unusual for contralto voices. Her tone is full and the voice never sounds heavy. Her vocal agility is evident from the first piece - Nel Profondo. The Stabat Mater piecs are equally well sung. Other performers on the CD include Counter-Tenor Phillippe Jaroussky, Soprano Veronica Cangemi, and Soprano Sandrine Piau. The duet, trio and quartet pieces are my favorites on this CD. If you enjoy Baroque era vocal music, then this CD is for you.