1. Water use efficiency in plant biology.
Mark A. Bacon, Plant Sciences for Industry Unit, University of Lancaster, UK.
2. What is water use efficiency?.
Hamlyn Jones, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Dundee, UK.
3. Water use efficiency and photosynthesis.
M. M. Chaves and J. S. Pereira, Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Lisbon, Portugal and J. Osório, Universidade do Algarve, Faro, Portugal.
4. Water use efficiency and chemical signalling.
Sally Wilkinson, The Lancaster Environment Centre, University of Lancaster, UK.
5. Physiological approaches to enhance water use efficiency: exploiting plant signalling in novel irrigation practice.
Brian R. Loveys, Horticulture Unit, CSIRO Plant Industry, Glen Osmond, Australia and M. Stoll and Bill J. Davies, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Lancaster, UK.
6. Agronomic approaches to increasing water use efficiency.
Peter J. Gregory, School of Human and Environmental Sciences, University of Reading, UK.
7. Plant nutrition and water use efficiency.
John A. Raven, Division of Environmental and Applied Biology, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, UK, Linda L. Handley, Scottish Crop Research Institute, Dundee, UK and Bernd Wollenweber, Department of Plant Biology, The Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Slagelse, Denmark.
8. Crop yield and water use efficiency: a case study in rice.
Jianhua Zhang, Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong and Jianchang Yang, Department of Agronomy, College of Agriculture, Yangzhou University, Jiangsu, China.
9. Molecular approaches to unravel the genetic basis of water use efficiency.
Roberto Tuberosa, Department of Agroenvironmental Sciences and Technology, University of Bologna, Italy.
10. Water use efficiency in the farmers' fields.
John Passioura, CSIRO Plant Industry, Canberra, Australia.