- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Welcome to the Board is the first book of its kind written with the board member as the focus. If you are a prospective or an active board member, Fisher Howe's book provides you with expert guidance and basic nuts-and-bolts information about board membership. In easy-to-understand, jargon-free language, the author answers the most common questions and concerns of prospective board members, outlines the key areas of responsibilities, and details the rights, obligations, and liabilities of nonprofit board members.
Part One: Board Membership in Perspective.
1. On Joining a Board.
2. The Qualities of a Good Board Member.
3. What You Should Know About the Law Governing Nonprofits.
4. A Nonprofit Is Not a Business.
Part Two: Board Member Responsibilities.
5. Your Role as a Board Member.
6. AttAndance at Board Meetings.
7. Strategic Planning and the Mission.
8. Choosing and Evaluating the Chief Executive.
9. Assuring Financial Responsibility.
10. Supporting and Overseeing Programs.
11. Participating in Fundraising.
12. Keeping the Board Effective.
Part Three: Board Members and Boards.
13. Board Procedures and Organization.
14. Rights, Obligations, and Liabilities of Board Members.
Conclusion: Leadership: Every Board Member Has a Role.
Resources A: A Donor Bill of Rights.
Resources B: The Council of Better Business Bureaus' Standards for Charitable Solicitation.
Resources C: National Charities Information Bureau's Standards in Philanthropy.