- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
In easy-to-understand language, Howe answers the most common questions and concerns of prospective board members, and details their rights, obligations, and liabilities.
Drawing on a lifetime of experience on nonprofit boards, Howe details the seven key responsibilities of a nonprofit board member—including how to go about the process of approving the mission, long-range planning, fundraising, and selecting and evaluating a chief executive. Additionally, Howe explores the leadership role each board member must assume if their organization is to excel.
Part One: Board Membership in Perspective.
1. On Joining a Board.
2. The Qualities of a Good Board Member.
3. What You Should Know About the Law Governing Nonprofits.
4. A Nonprofit Is Not a Business.
Part Two: Board Member Responsibilities.
5. Your Role as a Board Member.
6. AttAndance at Board Meetings.
7. Strategic Planning and the Mission.
8. Choosing and Evaluating the Chief Executive.
9. Assuring Financial Responsibility.
10. Supporting and Overseeing Programs.
11. Participating in Fundraising.
12. Keeping the Board Effective.
Part Three: Board Members and Boards.
13. Board Procedures and Organization.
14. Rights, Obligations, and Liabilities of Board Members.
Conclusion: Leadership: Every Board Member Has a Role.
Resources A: A Donor Bill of Rights.
Resources B: The Council of Better Business Bureaus' Standards for Charitable Solicitation.
Resources C: National Charities Information Bureau's Standards in Philanthropy.