A Note for Students
PART I. INTRODUCTION
The Internment of Japanese Americans
From Pearl Harbor to Mass Incarceration: A Brief Narrative
The Internment Camps
Historians and Internment: From Relocation Centers to Concentration
PART II. SOME CURRENT QUESTIONS
1. Why were Japanese Americans interned during World War II?
Roger Daniels, The Decision for Mass Evacuation
2. What caused the Supreme Court to affirm the constitutionality of internment?
Peter Irons, Gordon Hirabayashi v. United States: A Jap's a Jap
3. Why did U.S. officials intern people of Japanese ancestry from Central and South America?
Michi Weglyn, Hostages
4. How did some Japanese Americans resist internment?
Gary Y. Okihiro, Tule Lake under Martial Law: A Study of Japanese Resistance
5. What was the impact of internment on Japanese American families and communities?
Valerie J. Matsumoto, Amache
Suggestions for Further Reading