When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake

When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake

5.0 1
by Brian Hicks

View All Available Formats & Editions

During the dark days of the Great Depression, thousands of weary souls escaped their bleak lives for a week of paradise aboard the Ward Line's glamorous cruise ship, the Morro Castle. It was the most famous passenger liner of its day, lightning fast, elegantly appointed. It was also a ticking time bomb.

It was the summer of 1934. Two sailors joined the Morro


During the dark days of the Great Depression, thousands of weary souls escaped their bleak lives for a week of paradise aboard the Ward Line's glamorous cruise ship, the Morro Castle. It was the most famous passenger liner of its day, lightning fast, elegantly appointed. It was also a ticking time bomb.

It was the summer of 1934. Two sailors joined the Morro Castle crew, one a teenager on his first job away from home, the other a dangerous psychopath. Within two months, they would witness the end of the party in a single night of death, killer storms, and catastrophic fire. And that was only the beginning of a twenty-year-long story.

In When the Dancing Stopped, we too walk up the gangplank to that art-deco liner and, at first, enjoy the glamour and the sultry Havana nights. With mounting suspense, we also witness the launch of a mystery that mesmerized the nation and then, in the midst of troubled times, faded away. Award-winning author Brian Hicks, using newly declassified FBI files, thousands of pages of investigation notes, testimony, and new interviews, takes the reader on a mid-century cruise through history, revealing a cold-case file that had been, until now, left unsolved for history. And, as he relates in this work of masterful storytelling, it all began with the last cruise of the Morro Castle.

Editorial Reviews

From the Publisher
"When the Dancing Stopped is a solid addition to the literature of sea disasters, an enduring subject that combines the attributes of history and adventure — with which Brian Hicks has amalgamated the mystery story. He has exceeded the requirements of his meticulously researched account by establishing the blame for the Morro Castle catastrophe." — Matthew J. Bruccoli, author of Some Sort of Epic Grandeur: The Life of F. Scott Fitzgerald

"A suspenseful, highly satisfying read." — Kirkus Reviews

Publishers Weekly
The Morro Castle, a luxurious cruise ship, inexplicably caught fire on September 8, 1934, off the New Jersey coast on its way back from Havana. The blaze spread so quickly that many lifeboats were burned, and at least 134 passengers (out of 318) perished. Hicks (Raising the Hunley: The Remarkable History and Recovery of the Lost Confederate Submarine) re-creates this incident in a page-turning chronicle. The cause was never determined, but drawing on official records, first-person accounts and recently declassified FBI documents, Hicks makes a convincing case that the fire was set by a crew member. Shortly before the fire, the ship's captain died mysteriously of an apparent heart attack and was succeeded by William Warms. Hicks details how Warms's agitation and indecision made the disaster worse: he neglected, for one thing, to turn his ship away from an impending nor'easter, whose wind further whipped the flames. Hicks has done a lot of research, but it never weighs down the narrative, which draws the reader in from the get-go. 8 pages of b&w photos. (Oct. 24) Copyright 2006 Reed Business Information.
Kirkus Reviews
Another tale of nautical adventure from Hicks (Ghost Ship, 2004, etc.), who here investigates the destruction of a legendary American cruise ship. Early one evening in September 1934, on an otherwise routine run from Havana to New York, things began to go wrong on the Morro Castle, a luxury liner built four years earlier. The ship's captain was found dead of an apparent heart attack. A few hours later, fire broke out in the writing room. The author vividly recreates the terrifying hours after the fire began. Panic ran through the ship even faster than the flames. There seemed to be a shortage of life jackets. Some lifeboats failed to launch. People began to jump, only to be pulled into the ship's turning propellers and "churned to pieces." All told, more than 130 passengers died. Among the heartbreaking snapshots Hicks presents are images of Doris Wacker letting her father's corpse float away from her as she climbed into a rescue boat, and of a couple who jumped overboard to their deaths, entwined in each other's arms. He makes use of newspaper stories and interviews with survivors, lending the narrative a sense of immediacy. The final hundred pages are devoted to tracing the national reaction to the fire. The public was horrified but hooked by the story, and people across the country followed every twist in the FBI's investigation. Did someone deliberately set the fire? Had the acting captain been paralyzed by fear and missed opportunities to save the ship? What role did radio operator George Rogers play in the disaster? While Hicks doesn't claim to definitively answer those questions, he offers plausible suggestions. A suspenseful, highly satisfying read. Agent: Tracy Brown/WendySherman Associates

Product Details

Free Press
Publication date:
Sales rank:
Product dimensions:
5.90(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.90(d)

Read an Excerpt

When the Dancing Stopped

The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake
By Brian Hicks

Free Press

Copyright © 2006 Brian Hicks
All right reserved.

ISBN: 0743280083


Verdict Imminent

September 24, 1954

After all these years, he could still pack a house.

They loitered on the courthouse lawn, a sea of dark suits, narrow ties and gray fedoras that ebbed and flowed as he was led up to the building. The ones who had given up on a seat inside stood on the sidewalk, leaning against pastel-colored cars and smoking Chesterfields as the golden sky faded to a deep autumnal blue. From there, they could at least get the verdict before moving on to their Friday nights.

The crowd grew thicker as he approached the imposing stone building. So many people fought for a position on the steps, straining for a closer look, it was nearly impossible for his huge frame to squeeze through. Jersey City was buzzing and he felt, once again, like a celebrity.

Inside, the Hudson County Courthouse was chaotic, standing room only. They filled the narrow courtroom benches and spilled out into the second-floor lobby, a mass of gawkers silhouetted against the giant murals of angels decorating the rotunda. The roar oftheir conversations bounced off the marble floors and dark, wood-paneled walls, filling his head like so much radio static. The noise stopped only when the gold elevator doors closed behind him.

George White Rogers knew almost every person he passed in this voyeuristic crowd. Most of them had come up from Bayonne just to hear the verdict. They were bank tellers, businessmen, a large contingent of police officers -- many of them witnesses who had testified against him in the past week. They had no reason to be there but couldn't stay away, lured by the sensational tales in the Bayonne Times. It seemed the newspaper could barely fill its pages without him. The Times reporter had been there every day, gavel-to-gavel, desperately scribbling down every detail and publishing it on the paper's front page -- titillating headlines alluding to stolen money, messages from the grave and, worst of all, the "Death Hammer."

How they had turned on him. These were his neighbors, people he had known for years, who had come into his shop seeking help, given him medals, held parades in his honor. Not a trace of that former courtesy remained. Now they wouldn't greet him when he walked into court, handcuffed to a police officer, a cigarette dangling from his lip. Most of them, in fact, made a point of looking away when he caught their gaze. Only one, the man with the mangled hand, returned his stare.

The significance of the date amused him, although it seemed no one else had noticed. Twenty years earlier -- to the day -- Rogers had played the Rialto theater on Times Square. On September 24, 1934, the marquee had screamed his name, followed by the most coveted words on Broadway: Sold Out. The audience loved him, lavished him with standing ovations, angled for autographs. Reporters supplied generous reviews. He had enjoyed the attention, and ticket sales did little to dampen his ego. At $1,000 a week during the Depression, a certain cockiness was unavoidable. For a very brief time, it was safe to say, he had been one of the most famous people in the world.

Twenty years. So much had changed in that time. To anyone who had not seen him since his run on Broadway, Rogers would have been barely recognizable. What was left of his hair had turned gray. Time, or perhaps circumstances, had diminished his paunch ever so slightly. Normally joking at all times, even when it was inappropriate, he was now wooden, stolid. As witnesses made horrible accusations, describing terrible things they believed he had done, Rogers had no reaction. It was as if he didn't care what people said or thought anymore, which wasn't entirely true; appearances mattered to him intermittently. He dressed nicely, at least in the courtroom, and still lied about his age.

Rogers had drifted back to better days often during the trial. It was hard not to conjure images of the past as many of the witnesses themselves brought it up. He thought back to the Rialto, how the show had ended after just a couple of weeks. Leave them wanting more -- isn't that what they said? So what if he was playing before an Andy Devine movie; he still got more than his share of attention. His name appeared in the papers almost weekly -- there was always something else to be said, a reporter with another question. In those days, people would cross the street to speak, come into his radio shop just to gossip. Preachers heralded him in their sermons. It was all so flattering. Once, his hometown newspaper even declared him a historical figure.

They called him a hero.

In 1934, twenty years before he stood trial for double murder, George Rogers won international fame for saving hundreds of lives in one of the deadliest maritime disasters in American history. Off the coast of New Jersey, a luxury liner returning from a Labor Day cruise to Havana caught fire during a tropical storm, just hours after its captain was found dead in his cabin. The ship was incinerated, the passengers tossed into an angry sea. In the chaos of that night, 134 people died.

The tragedy shocked a nation suffering through one of the worst years of the Great Depression, and the entire world quickly took notice. Headlines and hearings followed. J. Edgar Hoover involved his Bureau of Investigation. The drama of the public inquiry, broadcast around the nation, was as popular as a serial -- listeners picked their favorite heroes and villains and then inundated them with fan letters, hate mail and an unending stream of advice. As more details emerged, the accident grew even more controversial. Many things had gone wrong before and after the fire, and it appeared there was plenty of blame to go around.

Only Rogers had emerged from the smoldering wreckage unscathed. While nearly every other officer on the ship was tainted by scandal, Rogers was hailed for his bravery in the face of crisis, for keeping his calm when his superiors did not. The country was so desperate for a hero in 1934 that people paid to hear George Rogers recount his last voyage on the most opulent, famous -- and tragic -- American cruise ship of its time, the turbo electric liner Morro Castle.

Copyright © 2006 by Brian Hicks


Excerpted from When the Dancing Stopped by Brian Hicks Copyright © 2006 by Brian Hicks. Excerpted by permission.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.

Meet the Author

Brian Hicks is the author of Ghost Ship and Raising the Hunley. A senior writer with The Post and Courier in Charleston, South Carolina, he has won more than a dozen journalism awards, including the South Carolina Press Association's award for Journalist of the Year. He lives in Charleston with his wife and two sons.

Customer Reviews

Average Review:

Write a Review

and post it to your social network


Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See all customer reviews >

When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake [With Earphones] 5 out of 5 based on 0 ratings. 1 reviews.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
After reading this book, I ordered "Ghost Ship" and "Raising the Hunley", hope there just as good.